Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babera_gw

icemelt killed a lot. . .

babera
9 years ago

I didn't loose one single plant/shrub/tree due to the hash winter we had. . . but I lost a ton due to icemelt (salt) including grass, boxwoods and the neighbors grass and rose bush. . . :(

I have been super soaking the area where the boxwoods are. I have cut off all of the dead branches. One is just barely a twig stump in the ground, but is starting to show some signs of like.

I dug up all of the dead grass, laid cardboard, fresh soil and bought sod to remedy the lawn problem. It seems to be doing great. It took root, no yellowing and its been a month or more.

My problem is one of my flower beds. I lost all the perennials. I replaced them with ornamental grass and annuals for now. Now they are all dried up. There is some green shoots but I cant tell if they are new growth or stuff that just hasn't died yet. . . I have to admit I didn't super soak that bed like I have been doing to the boxwoods. I didn't realize or think about the salt still being in the soil.

Now I want to lay cardboard then a layer of fresh soil and scatter wildflower seeds. I was thinking about leaving the grasses in to see if they recover. My hope is that the cardboard will create a barrier from the salt and the roots from the seeds will start life in good soil and hopefully the salt will leach down from watering the seeds.

This is the front of my house, my curb appeal. I'm just sick about it. But I don't want to spend more $$ if the problem is going to persist.

What would you do?????. . . thanks

Comments (9)