Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Your current favourite coreopsis?

I know I am a bit too early for some hardiness zones (zone 5 and 'colder'?) but for many it is around now that your coreopsis plants will have made their debut for 2012.

Looking at these criteria what is your personal fave:

- beauty of flower

- ability to stay UPRIGHT i.e. little or no 'flop'

(- duration of flowering (of course it is too soon to judge this for any new coreopsis you may have planted))

I admit not all my Coreopsis have opened up but for me based on last year's performance it is Cosmic Eye.

I am looking forward to seeing "Star Cluster" and "Cosmic Evolution" do their 'stuff'.

(Heaven's Gate was over rated i.e. total floppy...I am surprised it survived the winter...here comes the shovel to make room for coreopsis 'Presto').

Comments (24)

• DYH
    11 years ago

My 'Star Cluster' just started blooming and is upright. It's my favorite.

Cameron

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that info Cameron. I have something to look forward to.

(I see you are in Z7...did you plant "SC" last year or has it been in the ground just this spring?)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

The pictures of Cranberry Ice look spectacular. Anyone growing that?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes a2zmom the flower does look outstanding but I see that Terra Nova describes it as having an "...informal mounding habit...". To me that is just a nice way of saying it flops?

As well it is listed a hardy to Zone 6 which might mean zone 7...so it would likely be an annual for me.

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

My favorites are:

Creme Brulee
    Sienna Sunset
    Route 66
    Jethro Tull

I just got Cosmic Eye on sale for 2 dollars! It has buds. Can't wait!

Original Author
    11 years ago

echinaceamaniac, you are in for a treat with "CE". Get it in the ground and you will get a good 'crop' of blooms this summer.

(Dont you find that some of the favourites you have listed arent self supporting?)

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

They seem ok to me. I have them mixed in with other plants like Echinaceas. Maybe they are all supporting each other in a way. The ones I listed are winter hardy here and loaded with blooms for months.

• greylady_gardener
    11 years ago

'baby sun'--beautiful mounding plant that so far has behaved and stayed very neat despite an extremely hard downpour with very strong winds (that blew a neighbour's gazebo into our yard)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Route 66, it's the only one I've had so far that hasn't flopped, even with other plants leaning on it and having had heavy rainfall.

Karen

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

Both of the 'Cosmic Eye' Coreopsis I bought last year died out. Now that I think of it, all the ones we overwintered at the nursery died too, lol.

I'm still loving 'Sienna Sunset' (although it IS kinda' floppy), which has overwintered several years now. 'Route 66' came back nicely, which is nice since I fell in love with it soon after buying it last year. It has such an awesome/unusual coloration, prolific blooming, and wasn't floppy!
    CMK

• roper2008
    11 years ago

I plucked a few seed heads from a plant I saw of route 66. Is it a hybrid?
    It's very pretty.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I just picked up 'Sienna Sunset' this spring and it is blooming. It really took it's time to start and it ended up with an unexpected patch of annual Nicotiana Lime in front of it, that I didn't expect. It does seem to be floppy but I will need to see what it does next year and I will move it closer to an edge in the spring.

• ginnier
    11 years ago

Oh my moonbeam coreopsis by far...it has bloomed and grown happily even in this drought...altho it gets deluged when it does rain. It's popping out from under a big lily so it does have only leaning to do. I should divide it and spread it around; it's sooo pretty. My Zagrebs form a line under the back living room windows and they just grow and grow too, covered with gold flowers, I cut 'em back and they bloom again. Started out with 5 plants 4 years ago, now I have a short hedge there...pretty vision thru the slider window.

• mistascott
    11 years ago

I think 'Route 66' is my favorite, but I really like the light yellow of my first-year 'Galaxy.' It is similar to 'Creme Brulee.' It stretches, but it doesn't flop. It has been blooming non-stop since June.

• marquest
    11 years ago

Sienna Sunset I love it because of the orange color. This time of year I have enough yellow and it does not flop but it is in full blazing sun all day

• User
    11 years ago

they hate our english (ahem) 'summers' - I photographed the latest mistakes in an effort to finally break my eternal optimism that there is a truly great coreopsis WHICH WILL RETURN. So far, I must have tried over a dozen, from good old Sterntaler to the terra nova risk jobs - a miserable fail for me.

If I start to get all hopeful, I must repeat Big Sky echinacea, over and over again, until sanity returns.

• Nathy Lavoie
    10 years ago

I purchased some coreopsis 'Sienna Sunset,' my favorite! they were in bloom at the time. I planted them in garden soil and the blooms lasted about 2 weeks. I was deadheading them as the blooms died. Now the new buds won't open. I wonder why. Anyone knows what I could do?

This post was edited by Blackdesertwind on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 13:22

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

I just have the dear old Zagrebs. One in the back yard getting full sun and one in the front getting 3-4 hr afternoon sun. Both have been doing great for the last several years. Very upright and steady that I almost use it as a small bush plant. Mine gets to 18 in (full sun) to 2 feet (part sun). pretty yellow flowers starting in mid June. I give it a hairt cut now it is ready to bloom again. Important for me, that rabbits do not touch it.
    Vivian

• jadeite
    10 years ago

Moonbeam is still my favorite. I've planted it in the Midwest, New England and now the Southwest. I love the delicate foliage with those lemony flowers. It blooms madly, stands up to high winds and occasional downpours, and even the assaults of the rabbits who sheared 3 plants down to just above the soil line this spring.

I'm growing Creme Brulee this year because it was advertised as an improved Moonbeam. It has larger flowers and is more compact but to my eye, the shade of yellow is more golden and less lemon.

Sienna Sunset is just getting established, having been planted in early July. I'm disappointed that the color is lighter than I expected, more ocher than sienna. I'm going to have to move it because the color clashes with the agastaches Coronado Red and Acapulco Trio around it.

Cheryl

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

I've grown Zagreb for years. Very hardy, stands up to anything thrown at it without missing a beat. It is a bit of a spreader and this year, I'll be digging up some to give it away.

Moonbeam is a long bloomer but not as agressive. It also gets flattened in the downpours we've been having.

New this year is Merecury Rising. So far the torrential rain hasn't fazed it. I'm experimenting to see if deadheading will make it rebloom faster. I really like it so hopefully it makes it through the winter.

• User
    10 years ago

sanity prevailed and coreopsis are no longer part of my garden retinue.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

I ripped out a Coreopsis today. They are so bad about flopping over. They look sloppy in the garden. They grow well here. I'm just sick of them!

Original Author
    10 years ago

"Cosmic Eye" has been hardy for me in two different locations on our property. The flowers are quite striking and there is minimal flop when planted in full sun.

• boday
    10 years ago

I'm into raptures re 'Mercury Rising' but I've never had any joy with Coreopsis returning in multiple years. Anyone have any tips or pointers as to success stories, especially in colder climates?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting