Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Lanky Rhododendron?

BlueBirdPeony
10 years ago

We have four Rhododendron. This one has a strange shape to me. Not full on the bottom at all. Almost growing like a tree from one trunk. What are your thoughts? Anything I should be doing to this?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a neighboring one to compare. Same exact conditions: soil, sunlight, water, etc.

• molie
    10 years ago

Do you know the names of your rhododendrons? There are hundreds and hundreds of them--- really over a thousand species ---- and some grow tall like trees and are lanky with a more open structure while others are smaller and more compact.

• ginny12
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to say that this looks like a dying rhododendron. Few leaves, drooping yellow leaves etc. Something is really wrong.

Are you sure the conditions are identical? Sun--or too much of it, enough water? It is also possible that masonry above or below ground is leaching alkaline chemicals into the ground. Rhododendrons love acid soil and hate alkaline soil.

Have you checked if it was planted in a basket and is root-bound? That's another thing I've seen cause decline and death. Hope you solve it.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Molie. I'm also Molly with a y! Unforunately I don't know their names. They are identical in every way that I can see.

Ginny, I was concerned about that. Yes, the conditions are identical. They are only about ten feet apart. Same bed, same water, same orientation. If anything the dying one may get just a tiny bit more sun because it is about two feet further out from the house. If there is a difference, it would be maybe twenty minutes at the most.

All five that we have we're installed by the same landscape architect who used to own our house. None of the rest are suffering. It would surprise me if this one, in particular, was root bound. But possible, I guess.

Any thoughts of what I can do to help it? Or is it just past help at this point? Should I try an acid fertilizer? Or abandon ship?

Thanks!

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Dig it up and inspect the roots.
    Is it planted near a downspout or a poorly drained area. ? Rhodies hate sitting in wet or compacted soil.
    It doesn't look like the leaves are notched, a sign of black vine weevils that affect rhodies vigor.
    Rhodies are tough. You have nothing to lose (and the plant is not that big) by cutting it back, digging it up and replanting in another place. Remember the roots should be right at the surface of the soil. No two inches of mulch.
    It may very well come back. OTOH, for 25 dollars you can buy another one. Maybe less because they will be on sale soon.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. This really helped. I'm going to watch for sales and see if I can grab a new one. I might move this to a different area and just see how it does. Doesn't cost anything.

Will try to remember to follow up with you.

Thanks again!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Yes, the conditions are identical.

==>> no they are not ... one is in mid-wall ... one is on a corner ...

ponder winter winds.. and try to explain to us... how that might make its winter conditions different ...

if this does in fact matter.. a replacement.. over time... will probably do the same thing ...

perhaps it is time for something different on that corner ...

it would be a MICRO CLIMATE issue ... and 10 feet can be a whole other world ...

ken

ps: if not winter wind.. what about winter sun ... reflected sun on warm winter days[off of one of those divergent walls] .. reeks havoc on plants whose roots are frozen solid.. or completely dormant ... [its a stinky havoc.. lol]

pps: and dont get all wrapped up in this whole notion of needing a grouping of three ... two will be just fine ...

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville