Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help...absolutely beautiful

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 22:48

I absolutely adore this plant. It seems so unique, or at least unique in my garden. It grows very fine pointe foliage in a nice rounded clump and then when you least expect it, it bursts open with yellow flowers. Doesn't seem to spread aggressively and is a wonderful filler.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help...absolutely beautiful

Looks like a coreopsis, perhaps Moonbeam. But it looks a bit short in the photo. How tall is it?

Dee

o

About up to my knees. Maybe a little lower? I'm 5' 6". So I guess that would be about 18" high? Maybe just a bit more, but not much.

o

It looks like Coreopsis 'Zagreb'.

o

Oh, 18 inches is about right - it looks way shorter in that first photo! Yes, I would say Moonbeam or my second guess, as AprilAlliums says, Zagreb.

Dee

o

I'd say Zabgreb too. That stuff really spreads, I've been trying to rein it back for years!

o

I agree that it's Coreopsis "Zagreb".

o

Moonbeam flowers pale yellow, so, definitely not.

Zagreb should be about a foot high, then there is C verticilata Grandiflora, taller than Zagreb and similar yellow.

bye, Lin

o

voting for zagreb. Moonbeam is paler, and in a lot of situations less sturdy growth.Hard to kill zagreb, but it is not a pesky thug.

o

Another vote for 'Zagreb'--I have two patches of it that enlarge in size each year. I wouldn't call it invasive but it definitely expands each growing season.

'Moonbeam' has much lighter, paler blooms but hasn't been particularly robust where I am. Since most everything else thrives in my soil conditions, I prefer to blame it on the cultivar rather than where I plant it.

Unlike 'Moonbeam,' 'Zagreb' is reliable, needs little in the way of supplemental moisture or attention from me other than to enjoy it & the pollinators love it.

o

I agree ---- Zagreb. Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here