Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
morning shade afternoon sun

Posted by ntxorganics Texas 7B (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 22:57

I made a raised bed on the WEST side of my house. 4' tall about 5' wide and 2-3' deep. this area is in the north Texas heat (zone 7b) and sees direct sun from about 12ish-4ish in the summer..less in spring and fall. would like something a bit showy and flowering...and ideas...? concerned with the lack of direct light in the am..thanks guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: morning shade afternoon sun

I am in zone 5 so I can't give you any specific suggestions for plantings, but thought it might be helpful if I gave you an idea of some of the kinds of plants I use on the west side of my home with its morning shade and afternoon sun. It can be tricky - especially in your heat! Trial and error may be necessary.

My west facing garden is along a wall of my house. On the south end of my west facing wall I use sun plants. I have a large climbing rose and a clematis growing together, a few small daylilies, one large catmint, some yellow variegated sedums, chocolate eupatorium, a shrub rose, and for later color, a mixed stand of helenium, monarda, black-eyed susans, and Purple Dome asters.

The middle section of this west bed is narrower and also gets less sun. On the wall there are 3 vines on 3 spaced trellises. The one towards the south has a clematis, the middle a porcelain vine (grown for variegated foliage and fall berries, the third vine at the north end (the name of which I have forgetten) is for vertical folliage only.

These are fronted by orienpet and oriental lilies, which are themselves fronted by some shortish asters that will grow anywhere, and a patch of some yellow self-seeded (culled by me for this bed) echinaceas, cardinal flowers, more BESusan that will grow anywhere, and another patch of Purple Dome aster. All of these grow well in part sun/part shade.

As you move to the north end of this west facing bed into more shade (from the folliage vine on) there are Black Beauty lilies that will bloom well in quite a lot of shade and some shorter asiatic lillies that don't mind some shade and get replaced off and on if they do thin out, some of the so-called "ditch" daylilies (tall orange flowered ones that spread - called many names depending on location) that again grow most anywhere here. There are also some gold spiderworts, one variegated sedge that grows best in part shade, and some clumps of an old yellow daylily that I've had forever, another large catmint (flops a bit here but grows big and fast) and some more Purple Dome aster and the ever invading BESusans. This bed then bleeds into a North facing bed with a collection of specialty hostas.

As you can probably tell by the plant choices, this is a hot color bed and it is mostly the bright bold scheme of clear yellow and both bright and dark red shades, with cooling patches of blue, that hold the bed together, across the varying conditions of sun and shade, although any carefully controlled color scheme would work (a focal point of sorts, in this case the trellis structures helps, along with foliage variety). BTW the bed also varies greatly in moisture levels being wetter towards the north, except for one area at the south that my neighbor's sprinklers hit. I had to move the shrub rose twice trying to avoid this overhead overdone watering. Good luck and have fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here