Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combination pics

Posted by miclino 5/6 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 23:00

Would be great to see some pics of spring/early summer plant combinations, give the rest of us some new ideas. The only rules are, any pic has to have two or more perenials/shrubs. No flower closeups, there's enough of that on the internet :) I'll start.

Here is Amsonia blue ice with veronica and Achillea.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Same bed on other side with Knautia thunder and lightning, dianthus etc. In the back but not yet blooming are coreopsis showstopper, Eupatorium pink frost, Helenium and several echinaceas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combination pics

Here's a favorite of mine from this time of year (but not this year). The plants, from front to back are:

Cerastium, aka snow in summer
Geranium sanguinium (since then I have realized what a PITA thug self-seeder this one is and I'm taking it out)
Salvia 'May Night'
Geranium 'Johnson's Blue'
Various pink columbines that have hybridized
Blue flax
Catmint 'Six Hills Giant'
Lupine
More pink columbine

And on the right side of the path, poppy 'Princess Victoria Louise' and a pink salvia 'Rose Queen'

Sort of a classic perennial mixture with common plants, but the whole scene is one of abundance!

o

Here is another one in all white.

Salvia 'Snow Hill'
Geranium sanguineum alba
Morden Snowbeauty rose
Unknown white delphinium
Dicentra eximia 'Luxuriant'
'Ivory Halo' dogwood
Hosta 'Elegans'

This spot doesn't exist anymore. Well, the spot exists but I've totally redone the path and garden in a dramatically different style. That's a topic for another day.

o

Thanks miclino for starting this annual thread.

'karin', those "Salvia Snow Hills" are breath taking in your picture above.

Can you tell us a bit more about this plant? I hope you were able to reuse these plants elsewhere.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 12:02

o

Do shrub and vine combinations count? :-) This one is mostly finished now but is a favorite of ours - and the next-door-neighbours (who get a better look at it than we do! ) This picture was taken from the side, close to the top of the neighbours' driveway. The Clematis montana spilling down from the top of the arbour finished blooming a week or more ago, as did the Korean lilac. The Nelly Moser clematis(? not really sure what that clematis is - I have no record of actually buying a Nelly Moser...., but that's my best guess of what it is!) on the mockorange is just about finished now - as the mockorange is starting to bloom. There are later-blooming clematises on the arbour as well so they will take over in July. There are perennials in the bed along the house outside the gate and lining the path inside the gate, but the clematises are the dominant players for color in this area for a good part of the growing season. There used to be a New Dawn rose on the arbour and swag but it was too vigorous and thorny so we removed it in favor of clematises.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

What you see looking through the gate on the same day as the above picture:

The inside of the arbour/gate last July 21 (there is more than one variety of clematis in that mass, so that should count as a combination.... :-):

o

I am especially fond of white flowers. Love that Salvia Snow Hills. Also love those small bright spots of color, miclino. Seems I can't get that look, I wind up with one or another plant, by reseeding or whatever, completely taking over and smothering smaller plants. Then my beds look messy.

Here is my front bed taken last year in mid April.. This year, the Mugo Pine is gone and one of the phlox died out. Also the candytuft has greatly diminished.
Green mounding plants between blooming plants is Geranium Biocovo and Nepeta Walkers Low. Will post a pic of them in bloom in next post.

In bloom here is
Phlox Subulata
Euphorbia Polychroma
Candytuft
Daffodils

o

This pic from the other end of the bed, taken last early June. This year, I had a good bit of damage from voles apparently tunneling under the Geraniums, then we had a late very hard freeze that took a good many of the buds on what was left of them, so very little bloom this year. It does seem to be recovering.
here we have Geraniums Biocovo and Karmina
Nepeta Walkers Low
Weigela Raspberry Wine
Unknown Orange Poppy

o

Great pics. Love the salvia. And woodyoak, shrub combos do count. I just got nelly moser myself. Gazania, your beds always look great, love the euphorbia but I'm afraid to get one because I have small kids romping in the yard. My beds are relatively newer and the bright spots of color are annuals like alternanthera, calocephalus and namib. I get them relatively cheap and use them as fillers.

o

OK, full disclosure on the white salvia.

'Snow Hill' is simply a white form of 'Blue Hill.' It's also similar to 'Rose Queen' except it's white. It does not self-seed at all, which the others all seem to do. It is a very pretty plant this time of year with a pleasing form and pure white color. Sadly, after the blooms hit their peak, the whole plant splits apart leaving the middle exposed and bald-looking. At that point it needs a total haircut to regain any sense of good looks but that leaves a huge hole where the plant once was.

This is precisely the type of plant I wish to be done with so I am sad to report that I shovel pruned it. But it's re-sprouting from the roots (for the third time) so if anyone wants it I can send it to you.

Love the other combinations here, with clematis and the geranium 'Karmina,' lovely!

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 12:33

Gorgeous pics, everyone!

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 12:34

Gorgeous pics, everyone!

o

Oh wow, great pics guys.

I really don't care for white flowers, but that area is gorgeous Karin!

-gazania, I will never get tired of seeing that fab combo!

Here are a few rose combo pics I took the other day:

This one is of 'Carding Mill' rose with Penstemon HR. I love burgundy and peach together. I stuffed a Lysimachia atropurpurea in-between them, hoping to add more burgundy with a pop of silver, but the darn thing is barely a foot tall!! LOL.
june17- Carding Mill rose, penstemon Huskars Red photo june20-13-cmrosepenstemon_zpsfb355ee1.jpg

I really like this combo. Rose Gentle Hermione with Nora Leigh Phlox and Brookside Geranium. Seeing this combo makes me rethink ripping out that geranium. Its great now, but I just hate how rugged this particular one looks after bloom (and yes I am aware there is a thing called 'cutting back', but honestly that is worse than leaving it since that creates a gaping hole in the front of the border! ;-P).
june20- Rose Gentle Hermione, Phlox Nora Leigh, Geranium brookside photo june20-13rosegeraniumphlox_zps31279e7e.jpg

CMK

o

Oh my, sounds like I should retire that picture, lol.

Here is that bed taken from the house roof in early May, before the Nepeta took over.

o

Gazania, I have a similar shaped bed in the backyard that we call the 'Dogbone Garden'. :)

o

Eryngium big blue with double knockout roses

o

Ligularia and hydrangea little honey

o

Miclino, which ligularia is that?

o

-miclino, awesome! Love those Little Honey Hydrangeas. How much sun are they getting in this location??
CMK

o

Ligularia Britt-Marie Crawford.

cmk the location gets only some early morning sun and some indirect evening sun. Otherwise its what I call bright shade because it is shaded by the house. Both plants seem to love the location. Only problem is slugs getting to the Ligularia but no sign of them this year. This year with the weather we are having, the hydrangea are loaded with buds but I don't grow them for the flowers anyway.

However, I have another hydrangea little honey in afternoon sun (2pm or later) and it does just fine.

This post was edited by miclino on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 23:41

o

I need that hydrangea.

o

Do those 'Little Honey' Hydrangeas bloom?

o

Hi there,
Yesterday I took pictures of a planting from last year which I designed for an old peoples home.
Showing now are Calamagrostis acut. Waldenbuch, Alchemilla mollis (almost finished) and white Centranthus ruber.
I was so excited to see the actual plantings, with this lovely color scheme of white/yellow/ greens
The beds are squeezed against a slope so they are very narrow (3 feet+)
in April they were ablaze with Darwin tulips (yellow-orange-red)
and in summer I am expecting yellows and purples.
Bye, Lin

o

Karin... Don't take this the wrong way... but I hate you lol! Both pictures are AMAZING! I'm so jealous. If you ever want to trade gardens, just let me know (no,I could never do that to anyone).

miclino... love the combo and contrast of the two! I saw ligularia online a little while back and knew I needed it. Good to hear it does well in your "bright shade" (welcome to my yards sun exposure) - I'll have to get a few one of these days

o

Wieslaw, glad I could get you interested in something since you got me hooked on heleniums :)

Despite having several reputable nurseries nearby, I have not found hydrangea little honey locally, only at online sellers. I got mine from gossler farms in Oregon (great source) but they are not cheap. They do not get very big and supposedly need good drainage. However, mine are in moist soil as evidenced by the fact that the ligularia have not received any extra watering this year.

Prairie moon, the little honey does bloom but the blooms are not very noticeable from the distance because of how bright the plant is itself. See pic. Also, keep in mind, my plants are protected from our terrible winds in winter by the house. It does turn to a chartreuse color later in summer but still relatively bright.

Linaria, love that bed. What will provide the yellow and purples? It takes discipline to design like that and I have none :)

o

Everyone’s gardens seem to be humming along this year. They all look amazing! Wish I could visit each one.

Linaria, very nice design. I agree with miclino that it does take discipline to create such a restrained design but it is so effective! And it’s hard to believe the bed is only 3ft wide.

Does a combo of a shrub and a garden accent count as a combo? (g)

o

I really enjoyed this accidental combination this spring. I love pastels and it reminds me of those pink/sky blue popsicles I used to love as a kid.

I'm planning to transplant some lemon yellow, late blooming little Narcissus amongst these and next year it will be pastel pink blue and yellow.

o

Thanks to Miclino for starting this thread and to everyone who has added photos. I enjoy the individuality of each garden and always get ideas for combinations of colors and plants that I want to try.

Here's looking down the long axis of my purple/blue and gold bed (though there is a time in May when it has several pink rhodies.) It was quite hard hit by the voles this past winter, but is recovering, although a few plants seem to be gone. Blooming here are Globemaster Alium, Carolina Moonlight Baptisia, Amsonia hubrichtii, a few Greystone Dianthus (though the voles made major inroads in these), Nepeta, and at the farthest point above the sprinkler, a Miguel Viso Clematis.

From June 21, 2013

o

Hi Miclino
thanks for your nice comment,
for a lovely summer aspect I used Phlox paniculata hybrids, a pink cultivar actually,
and Rudbeckia etc Goldsturm, not sure whether or how long their flowers will overlap.
And in fall it will be a Aster novae-anglia "Purple Dome", very short and generally clumping with dark red Sedum telephium hybrids and yellow clumps of the Calamagrostis.
----
And the design restriction were a direct result of the place itself.
First was: not thorny or toxic, as it is within a ward for old people with dementia.

I added: classic/ old fashioned cultivars, as it seems that those can trigger memory from their own past.

due to narrow beds: only cultivars of medium height, and strictly upright, accompanied by lower edging plants.

ah, the soil: the border is wedged against a sloping rock. We had planting medium added that you would use for green roofs or larger planters.
so, added criteria were: somewhat resilient, non too thirsty/drought resistent, and somewhat tolerant of alkaline-ish condition
----
due to "low maintenace": no spreading plants, very healthy/ care free species or recommended cultivars.

Not too much, that made it through this filter.

My design idea was then to work with this limited number of plants and repeat them in all 5 borders (about 70 yards all together), with different spacing and group size obviously.

But funny, I myself was surprised that this early summer aspect has such a limited color range. After working on this scheme on tracing paper, showing all flower colors next to each other, I reckoned it to be somewhat more multicolored.

So all in all the borders will change their appearance at least 4 times, with one or two prominent/dominant colors plus foliage. So excited and looking forward to the next aspect.

Have fun and keep combining new stuff, Bye Lin

o

just a peek...lol

This post was edited by ishareflowers on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 18:59

o
Pics

Can someone tell me how to get multiple pics on one posting??? TIA

o

Ishareflowers - Nice foliage variety.

In order to put several photos in one response, upload your photos to a web-based photo hosting site like Picasa or Photobucket. Click on the photo you've uploaded and then copy the tag to embed the image right into the text of your response (not the one that starts http.) Repeat for as many photos as you want. Then click the GW preview button and they will show up in your message. I tend to do this when I think I might be wanting to use a photo more than once. But it's fine to just add several responses to a post if you want.

o

terrene, your "Bleeding Heart" picture echos my own with the combo of a white BH and "Forget Me Nots" in the background. Take a look.

o

nhbabs, your long shot of your garden is wonderful. Already I think I know my favourite new plant in my garden for 2013. Last fall I planted for the first time many alliums; white and purple, Globemaster and Everest. And this their first spring they showed wonderfully.

Here is one with bright green Persicaria "Golden Arrows" and Corydalis "Lutea" in behind and I also now see a few Astrantia flowers in the bottom left corner.

What is nice about this particular planting is that it is in a location receiving less than full sun and this delayed the opening of this Allium and so I will have it in its prime past many others that are closer to finishing.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 23:05

o

wow, this is probably one of the best threads since we started doing combo pic threads. Everyone has such great pictures.

Linaria: Any chance you could post pics of that border with the tulips blooming? Would love to see more pics as it progresses.

Terrene, that is such a great pic.

Nhbabs and Rouge, you have convinced me I need more alliums. I had them in one spot but for some reason they grew but never bloomed! They don't seem to spread so should be safe to put in a perennial bed right? Love the purple gold combo of the evergreen with allium in nhbabs pic.

Rouge, I got Persicaria this year after seeing your pics!

Nice bed ishareflowers, I am also just starting to work harder on adding foliage interest and not just flowers.

o

Wow, what a great thread! Both the bleeding heart combos have that magical, fairy-like quality that seems so fitting for springtime. Linaria, really nice! I am such a fan of Switzerland, and I noticed the setting of your photo before I honed in on the plants. Looking forward to seeing more photos of that one.

CMK, both of your pics have amazing color combinations. The apricot-colored rose with Husker's Red is excellent - there is just a tiny bit of edge and vibrancy between the two colors. Whereas the second photo is so sweet and blends together in soft harmony. (agree with you 100% on the floppy but pretty geraniums) They are both very effective!

Ishareflowers has the mega-hosta assortment that I admire but will probably never achieve in our climate. Lovely! And that vibrant hydrangea, Miclino, is making me want some of those too. The other lesson learned is that everyone needs some large allium. I have been using those as well with great effect.

David888, thanks... I think? You're welcome to come on over and make this your garden anytime. Particularly when it's weedy and in need of serious deadheading. :)

Here's another combo photo. This time of year the poppies really light things up. Talk about a floppy plant, goodness! But when they look like this who can argue with them?

o

I love that low wall of stone 'karin'.

Any chance you could post a picture further back to get a better feel of the size of the swathe of garden hinted at above?

o

I haven't had Globemaster seed at all. It has both primary and secondary florets, so it holds its bloom longer than other alliums. I leave the seedheads up on all my Alliums since I find them decorative as well, green sputnik shapes that slowly turn brown. I know some folks spray paint theirs to add a burst of color, but paint doesn't really fit with my garden ethos, and I love the subtlety of the green. I have had one of the white Alliums seed a bit with this treatment, but certainly not invasively; I wouldn't mind a few more seeding in. I've gotten perhaps 5 new ones in 15 years. One added benefit to Alliums is that the dastardly voles don't eat them, so I am willing to pay the relatively high cost since in my garden they are completely perennial. Here are my white allium seedheads. (Sorry they aren't a combo, but I'm part way through dismantling the bed and it's a mess with nothing else currently blooming.)

o

Both the bleeding heart combos have that magical, fairy-like quality that seems so fitting for springtime.

So true 'karin'.

I remember complaining last spring at how large my Dicentra spectabilis gets by the end of spring. But it is so worth having it to get those magical, fairy-like flowers.

Here is mine from a few weeks ago:

o

That's a postcard picture nhbabs!

o

Wow, even more excellent photos!

NHBabs, I admire your backdrop of stately evergreens. It looks like you have a large property and/or live somewhere properly rural. Your plants are really nice and look even better with that pretty background. And +1 to everything you said about alliums, they are terrific.

Rouge, goodness what a great photo that is! So delicate and ephemeral.

Here are more pics of my front bed. It is called the 'roadside garden' and is designed to be an alternative to the hideous things that many people do with the ditch area along the edge of the road. Plants in this spot need to be really self-sufficient as I don't baby this area and it gets watered maybe 4-5 times per year. It still needs more shrubs and evergreens, but it looks quite nice in June with poppies, catmint and Siberian iris.

o

Another pic. Oh, and the wall is one of 4 dry stacked walls we've built here. This was the first one we did and resembles walls you see in the Northeast, where we had just moved from.

o

Your gardens and walls are always fabulous karin!

o

I'm making it official : I HATE photobucket. It will not allow me to get the links to my pictures. What am I supposed to do??

o

Thanks for those pictures 'Karin'. Those are the views I wanted to see. Just beautiful.

o

Karin - I do live in a rural area, on a farm that had an active dairy herd at least into the 40's to supply milk to Boston via the railroad. Now one of the few remaining dairy farms in town uses the fields and we manage the woodlands.

Wieslaw - How frustrating! I've been happy with Picasa.

Here is a combination of two clematis, Betty Corning and Viola, growing up into a spicebush. True color has less pink to it: Viola is a true deep purple and Betty has lavender bells.

From June 22, 2013

o

-wieslaw, I hate the new PB format too. The edit feature is the absolute worst now. Are you seeing the little icon pop up in the right hand corner of your picture (thumbnail) when you hold your cruiser over it? That icon should allow you to "get links" to post your pic.
CMK

o

Try using imageshack?

Karin that rock wall is fantastic. Love the layout

o

I HATE photobucket. It will not allow me to get the links to my pictures.

Of course you can link to your pictures using PB. My thread of just yesterday titled "Blowup" gives 10 pictures stored on PB.

On the right side of each picture there is the following menu:

(It is "HTML" option that one uses on GW for picture posting)

o

How about this combo? Summer Wine Ninebark & Cosmic Eye Coreopsis. Love the color of both!

o

Or Veronica Vernique White and Dark Blue Lobelia

o

Or Veronica Royal Candles & Heuchera Obsidian. Yep, both in full sun! Obsidian is doing great in full sun and really gives me that pop of dark maroon that I love in the garden.

o

I do love that stone wall! And all other entries here make me wish I could go out and stir things up a bit in my own beds. So many things to want and looks to achieve

This post was edited by gazania on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 22:26

o

I am really loving the pictures on this thread. Wow Karin I am inspired by your gorgeous flower drifts!

Here's a piece of my garden right now. A colorful common cranesbill trying to push out the heuchera. The hosta was huge last year but a lot of it died off during that awful dry spell we had.

photo DSC_1328csm.jpg

o

That veronica and blue lobelia pic is great!
Here are some more
Trollius and Campanula glomerata emerald (doing fine in mostly shade)

Sedum dazzleberry, heuchera city rio with sedum purple emperor and sedum autumn charm in background

o

Fun-n-the-Sun,

Excellent! You have a great eye for color combos. Love the Summerwine and coreopsis. I suddenly realized how cool Sumerwine is and I've added 5 of them in the last 2 years. Their coloring is fun to play with, which you have clearly figured out.

I am a sucker for blue and white. The lobelia and veronica is exceptional! Lovely plants and a terrific photo.

o

Thanks so much, Karin. This is a newly planted bed-it's first year, so the hardest part is waiting for my combo ideas to grow enough to, well, combo! Some have been super fast, of course, like the coreopsis. I blinked and it grew a foot! Others are taking their own sweet time to fill in and haven't grown enough together to take a good pic. I tell ya, I missed the patience gene that every gardener is supposed to have. Ahhh, well, maybe by the time I'm 80, I will have developed that a bit more...(hubby says not likely :)

o

Miclino - beautiful trollius! Mine hasn't bloomed yet, I have cheddar. Is that normal for first year? It is in part sun or maybe even part shade, maybe it's not getting enough sun or maybe it's because it's just a new plant. I think I planted it in April, if I remember correctly. It seems lush and healthy, but no sign of blooming. About 6-8 inches tall now. It was teeny when I got it, so it seems like its doing well, but when I saw yours I had trollius envy!

o

Or Veronica Vernique White and Dark Blue Lobelia

That is an outstanding photograph 'funn'. Arent "lobeila" a wonderful annual?

o

Funn I think most likely your plant is just young. They supposedly rebloom later in the season if you fertilize but I have never seen that with mine.

o

Yes, they are among the very few annuals that I use, you just can't beat them for color and bloom time. I have them growing/spilling out of a pot and it looks very cool :)

o

Here's a combo that I have been trying to grab a pic of for weeks, but it always seems to be the wrong time of day, blurry, etc. I finally grabbed a good one.

Here's Black Lace Elderberry & Rozanne Cranesbill

I love how Rozanne intermingles with the elderberry, it looks like Rozanne has dark foilage! Nice!

o

Pam, I love that combo in your garden. Your heuchera looks so lush and the grass behind it is nice there. I know what you mean about the drought last year. Many of my plants and some shrubs came back looking a little less full than the year before. I'm just happy they all came back and now we've had about 14 inches of rain just in June this year, so they are having a great opportunity to recover.

o

I'm enjoying seeing all the different ways folks are using dark foliage and blossoms in conjunction with other plants. I am especially drawn to the combinations of deep purple or burgandy with pastels - yellow, apricot and peach.

o

Hi nhbabs, if you like deep purple foliage I have plenty of that but my light colors are a little different from your faves!

2 perennials at bottom of pic below - exciting new Salvia guaranitica ‘Amistad’ (tested hardy to 20F, maybe lower) and Tradescantia pallida ‘Purple Heart’ (evergreen or “ever purple” here in protected location).

photo 954b81a1-de51-4053-b304-3960c8eb0b55_zps25ae3999.jpg

Click thumbnails to enlarge.

PinkSplash20130624_2 photo PinkSplash20130624_2_zps7a99d165.jpg

PinkSplash20130602 photo PinkSplash20130602_3_zpsa0a529b8.jpg

Pink Splash / Pink Polka Dot / Hypoetes phyllostachya - I have both pink and rose colored versions pictured here - reportedly root hardy in 8b, my first yr with it in this area, I previously liked it as a tough little office plant that could survive 4-day holiday weekends with little to no light.

If duos qualify as combos, see more combos on link below. All hardy here, some die back, some are evergreen. Please see captions. Thanks for looking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my salvia in bloom

o

Karin, awesome roadside garden, no doubt the prettiest "ditch" in MT and the stone wall is nice too. Where did you get the stones? Are they native to the property?

The clematis is pretty and I like that Coreopsis/Ninebark combo.

o

Such great photos everyone! Very inspiring and motivating for me to get in gear and fix this place up! Just don't anyone get mad when I start duplicating photos in my own yard ha ha!

PS - Karin, I'll gladly weed and deadhead! those pictures are just beautiful!

o

This is of the south side of the house. The peninsula features a paperbark maple and crimson and gold barberrys fronted by happy returns and ruby stella daylilies. Going back along the foundation is an Amelanchier, ground cover sedum, a pink peony, tall grass, cone flowers, liatris, pink butterflyweed
Physocarpus diablo, Stella d'oro daylilies, Salvia east friesland ending with Penisetum Karley Rose.

o

Through the growing season of that area along the south foundation in the previous pic.

o

I like the dark foliage too and 'Black Lace' elderberry is a superb plant for creating interesting combinations with its neighbors. Funnthesun, I have my Johnson's Blue geranium near my Black Lace, but not quite close enough to mingle - I like yours! I'm using dark pink as the accent color with my elderberry: a peony right now, then dark pink sweet peas, echinacea and clematis. That's the plan anyway, we'll see what actually transpires.

Gazania, I like the composite photo, it gives a good sense of how the area evolves throughout the season. You have a great stand of daylilies there, nice.

David - great! Looking forward to your help! ;)

Terrene, the rocks are local but not directly from our yard. DH and I gathered them from a nearby canyon with large scree slopes. Most years I get a permit from the Forest Service to collect rocks. I'm a geologist, so rocks are my thing. Combining them with plants is a natural fit for me.

o

I have astrantias planted right beside my elderberry as well, but they are in their first year and taking their own sweet time to bloom!

River, I have Amistad, too and I almost grouped it with Black and Blue as well! Still haven't completely decided about that. Right now, it is beside my Scallywag Holly, but there is room behind it for a little somethings to combo it with. Here's a pic of mine, it's doing well. I'm hoping it will grow through my railing, just a little. I think it will. Really like this variety so far.

o

Here's Russian sage, May Night Salvia, Yarrow, Jupiter's Beard, Sunset Foxglove, Penstemon, Periwinkle, Serviceberry tree and Lilac bush in the back. There is also two small Feather Reed Grasses between the Salvia and Sage.

o

It's so hot and steamy right now that it's difficult to enjoy being out in the garden, but I did spend an hour or so outside this morning before it got too uncomfortable.

I like how Clematis 'Little Bas' is weaving through the Hydrangea paniculata, probably 'Pink Diamond', which is just getting ready to bloom.

This post was edited by nhbabs on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 18:02

o

Hi Fun, I really like Amistad and yours looks very happy! As I read in another forum, the stems break rather easily, or at least mine do. I just stick them in the ground and they root easily, too, so that’s not a problem.

I will be interested to hear how your Amistad overwinters and if you do anything special to help it through the cold weather. Please keep me posted. Best, River

o

- campanula "Freya"

- "Shockwave " phlox

- lots of roses!

- heuchera "Solar Eclipse"

- a soon to bloom "Tie Dye" clematis on an obelisk

o

Gorgeous gardens pictures each and every one. A combination for every mood. Here's a shady one.

o
RE: Combination pics +

Another shade picture.

o

Ligularia with a silver fern, looks great! I wonder if I have the space to try that combo.

Rouge that Freya looks great, just planted one myself but based on your pic might have to give it more space!

o

Rouge, that looks like the cover of Fine Gardening! Luscious!

o

All the pics look like cover of Fine Gardening. BEAUTIFUL!!!

The usual suspects. Ferns, Hostas, Heuchera Geranium

photo mendark.jpg

photo baliwood.jpg

hosta garden 2011 photo DSC_0017.jpg

o

rouge21, very lush and colorful! You must really be enjoying that every day. And I'll bet that's a fragrant corner of your garden with those roses.

Patty and marquest, great contrasting foliage colors!

karin, I love your roadside garden. The wall is such a graceful shape. I can't imagine gardening on such a large scale, you've done a great job. I was wondering how this ages over the summer/fall? You said you have Catmint, and Salvias, do they flop or have to be deadheaded? And I see what looks like Daylilies, do you deadhead those later? Are there grasses in there too? It's a great effect, reminds me of a meadow. I hope you will post more photos of that same garden as the summer and fall roll around.

o

Rouge21- I love that campanula freya! It looks amazing!

o

Dianthus 'Heart Attack' and Astrantia 'Roma'.

Hard to do closeup detail, focus and lighting.

o

Look what just started blooming yesterday! My Stokesia Peachie's Pick, which is looking great with the Salvia Cathedral Deep Blue & Purple that I just planted recently. This pic is not doing the combo justice, but they haven't grown together enough yet to get a good one of them together. Really like the different tones of purple going on here.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:40

o

Here is a closeup. There is no pink tones at all in the Stokesia, which is just thrilling to me. Very blue lavender.

o

boday that is a wonderful combo picture.

I know from experience it is so hard to get a picture of "Astrantia" not moving in even a slight breeze.

o

'patty' your shade picture with the ferns and ligs is just right!

Here is a shade shot from the dark recesses of the back corner:

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:55

o

And just today our "stella" opened up next to clematis "Cezanne" with some dianthus "Heart Attack" just showing up.

o

Thanks, pm2, for the kind words. Yes, same here, this is actually the lushest I've ever seen my garden, like it's making up for last year. Around this time last year my grass had started to turn yellow!! I saved a lot on grasscutting but it looked like hell. Now I'm fantasizing that I live in the PNW. That would be a dream.

o

Patty5, do you know the name of the tiny hosta at the bottom?
Blue mouse ears?
Marie

o

Rouge, you hit it out of the park with that combo. Verry nice.

o

Boday and Funn, those are top notch pics. Just planted astrantia for the first time myself. Rouge, I didn't expect you spend space on a stella d'oro but that is a quality picture.

o

I love this thread. It's so inspiring. Boday, I think the Dianthus Heart Attack is just the red perennial I need. I have a lot of purples and yellows with a few pinks and white, but I need some red.

Karin_mt, what's the peach poppy like flower?

I feel like such a newbie, but here's a few of mine from the other side. I finally have some clematis blooming.

o

I love this thread. It's so inspiring. Boday, I think the Dianthus Heart Attack is just the red perennial I need. I have a lot of purples and yellows with a few pinks and white, but I need some red.

Karin_mt, what's the peach poppy like flower?

I feel like such a newbie, but here's a few of mine from the other side. I finally have some clematis blooming.

o

I never used to like Yarrow but that's because the previous owners planted in the wrong places in my garden, eg, under an ornamental weeping cherry tree. I gave it all to the neighbor but found this clump in my compost/dumping ground last year and I thought I'd try it in this dry sunny bed. I love it in front of the Lysimachia.

My beds tend to be on the messy/wayward side, lol. Packed full and far too crowded because I don't like it to look too "new" when first planting. I just have to pay the price later on!

So here is Achillea 'paprika' with Firecracker Loosestrife.

photo DSC_1454a.jpg

o

Love, love, love, Pam! That combo knocks my socks off. I'm not a fan of yarrow either, but I gotta say that pic makes me rethink my opinion!

o

Agreed, I am liking rosy pinks with bronzy foliage neighbors these days - very nice!

Kristie, the peach poppy-like flower is, umm, a peach poppy. :) It's Princess Victoria Louise oriental poppy.

Prairiemoon, yes there are lots of daylilies but they are not doing well. It's too bright and glarey and too dry. Around here the daylilies prefer some afternoon shade. After the salvia-catmint-poppy-iris show it becomes a shasta daisy, daylily, rose and scabiosa show. It does pretty well through the season but the daylilies need to be replaced over time. I have an overhaul in mind that would use lots of shrubs and roses and give some structure to it. With any luck I'll implement that this year. It's a lovely wall and a nice overall effect but the garden itself doesn't get the TLC (or the $) that my other beds get.

o

I've been beating the drum on Astrantias and Dianthus 'Heart Attack' for a while. H/A is a show stopper. Plus, at a distance the flowers turns black.

And then, it's perennial and easily propagated. Simply take some young stems, stick them in moist soil and keep them in a shady spot. Love that propagation part. Eliminates the "Wait a few years", serial.

Considering our garden centers have gone to hanging pots and very few perennials, I have to buy plants on line for any variety or new "must have". Very nice people at the centers usually, but marketing skills - Nyet with a capital Nee. Online it's fairly serious money per plant so any propagation is a total bonus.

o

Karin, I also have that Princess Victoria Louise Poppy but I don’t have an area where it can shine. I let most of them get squeezed out and one came back this year and I’d forgotten how beautiful they are. I am going to try to collect seed and see what I get and try them again.

I have only one daylily in my garden so I didn’t realize that they didn’t like sunny / dry. I grow salvias and nepeta, but my soil is loamy clay and they won’t stand up straight for long. The daisy / daylily / rose show sounds pretty. I tried shasta daisies and they didn’t work for me. I would love to see how they work when the next phase starts blooming for you.

I can understand it would be hard to give TLC to such a lot of plants! As much as some of us aim for ‘low maintenance’, as every experienced gardener told me when I was first starting, sadly, there is no such thing. I am also planning an overhaul, removing some perennials and adding shrubs. I’m still working on the willingness to let go of some things. Are you going to keep the shrubs and roses low to allow the wall to still be prominent? Have you already found roses that are working out there?

Very interesting project, I will enjoy seeing it progress and develop. :-)

o

Pam
I'm a big fan of 'Firecracker'. I was proud of myself that I went 'Stella de Oro' with it. Totally stuck what to to do with the other side. I'm going to shamelessly steal from you.

I will post a modest little sign - "Pam thought of it first".

o

Rouge, that's a lovely garden you have near your deck. You must get a lot of enjoyment sitting out there.

Many fine examples of foliage and shade gardens on this thread. Marquest, I like your garden art. The sooty Dianthus/Astrantia, and the Achillea/Lysimachia combos are very pretty.

Here is one of my favorite combinations each year that grows in the "Xeric" garden and is blooming now - Asclepias tuberosa and Daylily 'Happy Returns'. They bloom at the same time and are about the same size when mature. Both do well in dry, lean, and sunny conditions.

There is a yellow butterfly weed in front of the "Monarch Waystation" sign, started as a seedling of 'Hello Yellow'.

o

I'm just going to keep adding to this thread rather than start a new one in the fall. Here are Japanese maple, boxwoods and lilies

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

o

miclino, can you post a picture with the perspective of you on the interlock path to the left facing the seemingly long edge of the boxwood border?

o

Thanks so much, funnthsun and boday, I'm honoured. Just don't ask me for a zoom-out of that particular flower bed.. lol.

Here are some pics from June 2010 that I still love and miss. RIP, weigela, lambs ears, and sambucus Sutherland Gold!

photo DSCF0425sma.jpg

These three have all gone.

photo DSCF0440crs.jpg

Marguerite daisies with catmint and lambs ears. These annual daisies are so hard to find now but I always loved how they blended in with my perennials:
 photo DSC01873.jpg

o

Pam

Upping the ante, I see. That first picture is outstanding. The only thing missing in the picture is the recliner and a mint julep.

o

I have three to share this morning. The first is a raised planter with hydrangea "Bottstein", hosta "First Frost" and hosta "Great Expectations". I've filled in with some pink and white impatiens.

o

Next is hosta "Olive Branch", heuchera "Creme Brûlée" and a green NOID heuchera.

o

Last one today. Hosta "Lemon Lime", heuchera "Hercules", heuchera "Blondie", heuchera "Marmalade" and hosta "June" in the background. I love to mix the heuchera randomly. They just seem to look good no matter where I place them!

o

Thanks again Boday! Oh and I sure have enough mint for the mint juleps... just that the bourbon doesn't seem to stay around as long as the mint does!

Flower-frenzy, I love your combinations, especially the last one. Your June Hosta looks a lot bluer than mine, love it with that particular Heuchera!

o

Pam those first two pics are fantastic. Although no fair using pics from previous years :)

Flower frenzy, love the raised planter and the third pic. Trying to do a similar combo myself.

o

Pam, thanks for the compliments. I love the orange of the Marmalade heuchera and the blue of the hosta June together. Hint: if you want a bluer June hosta, grow it in mostly shade. I've got one in sun and one in shade and they look like 2 completely different plants!

P.S. I love your combo of lamb's ears, marguerite daisies and catmint! So relaxing! It makes me wish I had another flower bed so I could plant it full of those three plants.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:09

o

Thanks, Miclino! I know, lol, sorry.. I am still living in the past when it comes to some of my deceased!!

Flower-frenzy, my June hosta is in complete shade but it's paired with white - it probably needs something else to bring out the blue undertones. Great excuse to dig up some Lily of the Valley and the euonymus, its other neighbor! I need one of those marmalades now :)

This post was edited by pam_whitbyon on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 17:35

o

Yes, definitely get Marmalade. It's got ruffled leaves with great substance. (It can even take afternoon sun here without burning!) I think it is what is making "June" appear bluer. I never noticed it until now. I'd like to say I did this on purpose using my vast knowledge of plants and powerful gardening skills...but....lol

o

One more combo pic from a portion of my "drama" flower bed. Calluna Vulgaris "Firefly" (heather), Agastache "Apricot Nectar" (hyssop), Dahlia "Mystic Haze" and Cosmos astrosanguineus (chocolate cosmos).

o

Rouge
Its raining outside so these are the best I have for now. The JM is underplanted with tulips, lilies and hydrangeas (which grow well enough but have yet to bloom in two seasons). The hedge is not actually that long and have mixed feelings about it because I am definitely not a "formal garden" type. Plus I means less space for perennials :) On the plus side, its nice to have in winter.

o

Here is one from a new backyard bed [June 30, 2013]. The main characters right now are Tecoma 'Bells of Fire' and Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer', with Salvia 'Amistad' and Agastache for the hummingbirds. You would be shocked at the total list of what is growing in there... A case of what I call gardener overboard? ;^)

o

[Double post] Oh,well. I'll edit it to show what that bed looked like on March 22, 1013!

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 22:46

o

Pam, those are lovely photos and beautiful combinations. I'm sorry you don't have those plants any more, but you can still take credit for creating a harmonic grouping there.

Miclino, that is a gorgeous Japanese Maple, wow! The texture is so fine and creates a perfect backdrop for the flowers in front.

And Gyr, don't you just love 'Indian Summer'? That plant is a workhorse and is amazing for cutting. Mine have nice heavy buds and I'm looking forward to their summer-long show.

PrairieMoon, sorry I am so late in answering your question about the roadside garden. It is already turning the corner to the next phase but I don't have a photo from this year. Not only do shasta daisies grow well here, they have re-seeded in a lovely way, contributing to a meadow-like effect. They don't split open like so many plants do, so they are keepers! As I add shrubs, the wall will not be as visible from the road, but I think that's an OK tradeoff for some structure to the bed. It's a big area and it looks pretty flat once it's all cut back. Oh, and mentioning that, cutting it all back is a big effort! So shrubs will be good. I don't mind taking out some perennials and in fact I see that as a sign of progress.

Roses do amazingly well here. I have 40-50 plants throughout our yard. So far the roadside garden only has low roses - Nearly Wild and Pink Drift. But I'll be adding Morden Blush, rugosas, and a pair of Carefree Beauty. All of these are coming from other places in the yard. Last year I planted 2 'Summerwine' ninebark but I bought tiny plants so they are still smaller than a daylily. I'm also going to get some conifers going in there. I have a rough plan to do about 1/3 of the bed this year, and then we'll see where we're at.

Here's July a couple of years ago. Those are Nearly Wild roses, Happy Returns daylilies, then shasta daisies, salvia, etc. But I need to get a current picture because there is some new stuff that is looking nice!

o

Karin, what variety of Salvia is that?

Here's an updated pic of that aster combo I posted above. It's simply blooming it's head off now!

o

Here's another combo that is still growing in, but I like the colors (or lack thereof, I guess!). Chocolate Eupatorium, Sweet Potato Vine and a Euphorbia I can't remember the variety of, along with Verbena bonariensis that I found growing in another area as a seedling and just moved here. I'm unhappy that something seems to be munching on my Eupatorium, though! Grrrr.

o

Miclino, I have to say, every time I open this thread and see that first pic you posted, those gorgeous vivid blue flowers pop right out. You have a really pretty arrangement there - I love blue in the garden and your blue ice doesn't look as purple as some I've seen. It's almost like a forget-me-not blue. Just stunning.

Thanks so much for creating this thread - I really enjoy it. It's amazing to see all the variety and character of each garden grouping, notwithstanding all the different zone. I may have learned more from this than from one entire Fine Gardening magazine. Very inspirational!!

Karin - thanks for the compliment!

This post was edited by pam_whitbyon on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 12:20

o

Thanks Pam. This thread is an annual feature now I hope :)

Amsonia blue ice is one of my favorites and is long blooming as well. Its one of those perennials that I normally would not have tried but now am glad I did.

I cant help posting this closeup of the previous pic

And this one is for Rouge, Hydrangea little honey blooming. Its not a heavy bloomer, this is the most I have seen. This is a great year for hydrangeas, lots of rain.

o

Nice pic funn.

Karin you will have to post pics of the border later in the season. We can only dream of so much space.

o
euphorbia "diamond frost"

If that little euphorbia is "diamond frost" it is one of the best, hardworking annuals I've ever grown. It takes more shade than alyssum, and is a good size. Never out of bloom.I think of it as a substitute for alyssum as an edger. I can't find any alyssum that's taller than 3 inches, I don't think that cuts it for an effective front of the border edging. Kind of a constipated size and growth habit for a plant that used to have better attributes.
It has the airiness of baby's breath though not big enough to substitute for it. But then it doesn't need a girdle, either. and can take partial shade.

o

Karin, Very pretty combination there with the daisies, roses and day lilies. Lots of color. The fact that the daisies contribute to a meadow-like effect, is probably what fascinates me about your bed. I am a big fan of meadows. I love that ‘May Night’ Salvia. It is such a great dark color.

So you do have to cut everything back! Wow! That is a lot of work. lol

Rugosa roses seem like such a natural fit with a roadside garden. And some are so fragrant too. Have you ever considered a yellow rose? I added ‘Julia Child’ a few years ago and it has turned out to be a great performer in my organic garden. I also have two Ninebark ‘Summerwine’ and I love them. One of my favorite shrubs. They grow fast too!

Look forward to updated photos through the summer. :-)

Flower Frenzy, I love your Hydrangea, Hosta, Impatiens combination! Such a pretty Hydrangea!

Gyr Falcon, love your rock work. 'Indian Summer' is a workhorse and Agastache is one of my favorites too.

Pam, I love that Weigela with the 'Sutherland's Gold'. That Sambucus only lasted a few seasons for me too. I believe it now has a reputation for doing that.

o

'karin', miclino, 'gyr', 'Pam', 'funn' et al...wonderful pictures. Your plants and gardens are such fun to look at. Thank you.

o

Ida - nope, it's not Diamond Frost, although I like that annual as well and have it in my pots on my front porch. This one, I thought, was a perennial. It has green and burgundy foilage, but otherwise, looks just like diamond frost. I'll have to hunt that tag down, it hasn't made it to my tag book yet, which means it's floating around somewhere...

o

Finally thought of a few to share.... nothing here s very impressive (only second year here and everything is kind of in limbo with where its located) but as it stands right now, in front I love the look of the rose champion by the potentilla. They probably wont stay together but for now it looks nice :)

o

This one's from early may I think... Once the wegeila blooms drop off and the valerian blooms it looks nice next to the wegeila's variegated leaves.
I will say this thread is a major inspiration for me to get in gear in the garden!

o

Funnthesun, ooh, I just love when penstemon have a touch of real blue in them. That's a beauty - can you tell us the name? (or if you did already, I apologize for losing track!) And to answer your earlier question, the salvia in the roadside garden is Blue Queen, Rose Queen and May Night.

Prairiemoon, agreed, there is something about pure white daisies that is a real win. I think a yellow rose would work well! I'm not sure Julia Child is hardy here, but I will check it out. By next week there will be a league of Happy Returns daylilies to add some yellow to the mix.

I'm glad the idea of rugosas makes sense, because I've been thinking that for awhile. They have 3 season interest and a nice round shape. Plus, deer don't eat them. I have 2 pots of rugosas that are planted with suckers from one of my existing plants. They look really unhappy but I'm hoping I can get them to grow. Anyone tried this? I have so many extra plants that I hate to buy stuff any more.

OK, here is the roadside garden at 6:50 this morning, before the July sun washes out any good photo ops. 'Pink Drift' rose is making the pink splash on the left side. What an awesome performer that is! On the right side we have the salvia/catmint medley with the daisies just starting and some new penstemon that are a cool scarlet color. Behind those is a new red-twig dogwood that will eventually occupy a lot of space and reduce the volume of perennials.

I usually kind of neglect this garden, so you guys have been good to help me realize that it's actually quite lovely and worthy of more of my attention. :)

o

I am so stealing ideas from all through this thread! lol My reddish Achillea, that was on the yank list, has a new lease as I search for a reddish-leaved partner to play the part of Firecracker Loosestrife. My Rud. Indian Summers (which were a quick-fix planted-plant anyway) are to be moved to deeper in larger beds. The daylily gang is going to be broken up and spread throughout the garden, so that I can pair some better foliage partners in the front entry.

This should keep me busy this fall...

o

Ohhh man, Karin. I've been staring out my window all afternoon trying to figure how I can emulate your garden! I love it and love the mood it puts me in. The color palette is wonderful.

I sure have the space, even though it's not exactly the roadside. Would you say it took 4 to 5 years to get like that? Or longer?

o

Aww, thanks Pam! Yes, 4 or 5 years is about right. The garden is about 12 years old now, but honestly it was better before, which is why I'm redoing parts of it.

One of the things that works is a fairly limited plant palette and color palette. The repetition on down the path is what I like most. It looks calming instead of chaotic. Having the same plant sort of alternating on both sides of the path also seems to reinforce the repetition and draw you in. However, that is a total accident of re-seeding. The left side of the path was originally all groundcover plants, but the self seeders jumped across. For that matter, they have jumped all the way across the street and now the whole roadside garden is replicating itself in my neighbors' front yard. Funny!

I am hoping I can reproduce the shapes, repetition and mood but with flowering shrubs as the big plants and perennials in between.

Anyway, I think it's a simple, reliable formula that can be adapted to lots of places. I'm flattered that you are looking to emulate. I love that feeling of gazing out the window contemplating a big design. I think we all love that - it's sort of addictive!

Let us in on your planning when you get some ideas. :)

o

Using borders for Heuchera bed - Hakonechloa grass, Lamium 'Anne Greenway'and Lamiastrum 'Herman'l Pride'

This post was edited by boday on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 19:04

o

Karin, I think it's the salvia that you are wanting an ID for and, if so, it's Cathedral Series Deep Blue. Border hardy here in zone 7b.

o

Ah! Looked penstemon-y to me, but I appreciate the ID, thanks!

o

Karin - even your neglected garden is gorgeous! Gyr, I love Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' too - that is my favorite cultivar of R. hirta, the tetraploid blooms are so voluptuous. Do you get lots of hummers on the Salvia? Funn your aster combo is very nice, and I wonder what is munching on the Eupatorium. David your rose campion looks quite lush.

This thread will fill up soon, hope we can keep it going thru the summer and fall because I'm sure there are lots of lovely combinations left to unfurl in the gardens.

o

It is unusual terrene, but the Amistad salvia does not stand out as a favorite hummingbird plant in my garden. There are so many different flowers they like to feed at, the favorite varies between individual birds and their mood of the week. One Allen's hummingbird does feed at that bed often, but the nearby Russelia x St. Elmo's Fire, agastache, bottlebush, and feeder seem to outrank that particular salvia.

And in the front yard, where there are almost as many choices, russellia is taking a back seat to the current top draw; a blooming Stromanthe sanguinea. Go figure.

o

Karin, I just noticed you are in zone 4. Yes, the Julia Child, is only hardy to zone 5 and would need winter protection in zone 4. I assume roses are not easy to find that are hardy there.

David, that Weigela is covered with blooms.

And I love those dark heucheras, Boday.

I like the aster combo, funnthsun.

Thanks for the photo of the 'Little Honey' blooming, miclino. Very pretty.

o

photo 9425f79e-1e7b-4c97-8128-eb445484d4e9_zpsbf374ff1.jpg

Great pics, everyone!

Inherited daylily just ID’d by the folks in the GW Daylily forum as ‘Kwanso.’ Salvia ‘Amistad’ below daylily, Tradescantia pallida ‘Purple Heart’ in background. 'Amistad' is expected to be at least root hardy in my climate. Others are old, easy care perennials - my fave!

This post was edited by river_crossroads on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 1:56

o

I love that day lily! They really are great plants.... I'm just so sick of the ugly ones I have lol

o

I just spent the last half hour staring at all the amazing pictures in this thread. There are a lot of fantasticgardeners here!

Here's a picure of what I call my cottage garden from two years ago. Sadly, I lost a lot of plants this past winter, so currently it looks pretty sad.

o

I just noticed you are in zone 4. Yes, the Julia Child, is only hardy to zone 5 and would need winter protection in zone 4. I assume roses are not easy to find that are hardy there.

I would bet that JC will be just fine in zone 4. I say this as I have no winter die back for 3 of them in my cdn Z5 (with the thought that cdn Z5 is very similar to a USA Z4).

o

Miclino - Any chance of starting a new thread? For those of us with a slower internet connection this thread takes quite a while to load, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes by taking over your thread and starting a new one.

o

Heh I won't be offended if you started a new thread :)

I was thinking of just carrying on with the same thread since we could see the progression of the seasons but you bring up a very valid point. I will start a new thread. This one is getting pretty big

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here