Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda888

Not sure I amended soil enough

linda888
9 years ago

So,

I planted tons of perennials. I added compost and peat moss to the Ohio clay soil and tilled it before planting. Tonight it's raining, and lo and behold there is standing water in the flower garden. Do I need to dig it all up and add more amendments and then re-plant??? We spent quite a bit of money on the plants and flowers so I would hate to see them not flourish...but I also spent at least a good 20 hours planting and don't want to redo it if I don't have to!

TIA!

Comments (13)

• splitrock
    9 years ago

Compost and peat moss both help retain moisture in the soil, but don't do enough to help drainage. I suggest ground up pine bark ( sold as soil conditioner at big box stores) and or Perma-til, which you will need to source at a place that specializes in garden supplies. It must be used in rather large quantities, and I have read that turkey grit can be substituted. The idea is to get air pockets into the soil and keep it from compacting again. Be sure not to step on your soil any more than necessary. Wait for dry weather to rework the areas that are not draining. You may only need to lift and replant the plants in the worst areas. Also, a few perennials actually thrive in moist clay, so you may be alright depending on what you have planted.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Nah, they are in now - wait a season and see what thrives and what fails and deal accordingly next year.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

I agree with campanula. You really should do a percolation test on your soil to see just how serious a problem you have. Google soil percolation test, to download directions. Al

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

My experience with heavy compressed clay (as left by developers):

Need to pickaxe down but also break up the bottom of the excavation (with pickaxe). If not, there's a sump effect.

Refill the excavation with thoroughly mixed weed-free top soil, some of the clay, peat moss and organic material. Find triple mix, plus some of the clay and more organic material, works well.

Over time, tend not to leave the beds alone. Keep reworking and adding in organic material.

I don't bother with adding sand.

• thrills
    9 years ago

How recently did you plant them? If recent, I would dig some up and replant them "high", making small soil mounds above grade and then mulching heavily between plants.

My heavy clay soil had proven very difficult to improve. Ending up with essentially small raised planting areas has helped. You do need to keep the watered during dry spells and as they are getting established.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Is your soil bare? I would definitely mulch if it's not, also If the water does not sit for more than an hour or two I don't think it's anything to worry about. In the long run you'll want plants that like your soil rather than make your soil into something your plants like. There are plenty which will do well in a clay based soil, and without redigging and adding new amendments every couple years you'll be fighting a losing battle.
    A good organic mulch will get the worms to work tilling the soil for you since they eat the mulch, plus all their little tunnels will open the soil and let the water down through the clay.

• linda888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! What is a "good organic mulch"...like brand-wise, I mean.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I was hoping someone else would offer a suggestion! A mulch of chopped leaves would be perfect, or a thin layer of grass clippings, but shredded bark or wood mulch would probably look nicer. I think cypress usually matts together which is helpful on a slope, but I'm not sure of that.
    You would be fine with any wood mulch, your choice for dyed or natural, I've never found the brand to be important, and usually order a generic load from a garden center, but that might be more than you'd like to spend, and a few bags would be easier to handle.

• linda888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, sounds. good. Also, somewhere someone mentioned using old newspapers underneath the mulch as a weed barrier (instead of that landscaping cloth). They were saying that the newspaper will decompose which was good for the soil (?) and then also you don't have to run into that landscaping cloth later when you're planting more things. Do you think that would be a good idea...for me to put down newspaper and then the mulch? Or would the newspaper hinder the whole purpose of the mulch.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

I think newspaper would be a good idea, even though it sounds like you did a good job prepping the soil, and most weed seed won't sprout under the mulch, the newspaper shouldn't hurt and will add to the soil.
    If you leave the paper out in the rain or wet it first, I find it easier to put down than when it's dry and trying to blow around.

• linda888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great idea! Ok, how deep should I go to amend the soil (for my next bed)? One foot, two feet, three?

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Re my approach above: A foot of well amended clay, but break up the clay below (maybe to 3 or 4 inches down).

• linda888
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks SunnyBorders :-)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?