Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilsprout

Did you remove your tiger eye sumac?

lilsprout
9 years ago

I planted two last year and to my disappointment, it looks like they might have to come out due to suckering.

Any experience with them?

Comments (10)

• kimka
    9 years ago

If you do take them out, I'd like one of them or a rooted sucker. I have just the place for one that needs that pretty light green. I've got some things I can offer in trade or I can pay postage. If you are interested, email me at jkkaplan "at" erols.com

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i never planted one.. specifically for that reason ...

what were your expectations on a sumac????

ken

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

No, it removed itself, it's not zone 3 hardy as claimed, it struggled for a few years and then disappeared.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I remember right the tag stated it got about 6x6. I eyed these for a couple of years before finding them on clearance....so I bought 2. They were lovely, giving you 3 seasons of color and uniquely shaped. What's not to love?!

I thought perfect...for a couple back bed focal points. Planted them up and they came back nicely this year.

I recently started researching them, looking for growth rate. That's when I discovered what a real nuisance they can be.

Yes this can go under the 'Live and learn' title...do your homework first!!

Kimka...you may want to read the link I've included.

(Sure glad I got them on clearance)

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

Nope, I love it! Growing it for the third year, have about 2-3 suckers popping every spring - and I am glad I have them, because I can give them away - the plant has more admirers than the suckers it produces. :)

Looks like in my climate, it is not very aggressive and not too suckering.

• lilsprout
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well just be on the lookout.

From what I've read, that's when it gets bad....after the third year.

• Karchita
    9 years ago

I bought one a long time ago. I kept in a pot for about three years and it got very, very root bound. Then I planted it without unwinding the root, like I normally would do. Now it's been in the ground at least 7-8 years and I haven't seen a single sucker yet. It's gotten big, too, about 5x5' and it's lovely every day of the year.

• kimka
    9 years ago

I'd still like one lilsprout if you decide to remove your's. I'll be happy to pay postage or we can discuss trade's if you want.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

I think sumac can be pretty inconsistent with the suckering thing. A very long time ago, I dug one out of a field ( just the wild type - no ID) and planted it in my garden. Only afterwards did I learn about their tendency to sucker and spread everywhere. Mine never did. Eventually the plant grew to the size of a small tree and then simply died after about 10 - 12 years. The next year I believe I found 1 sucker from the dead thing, but that was it.

Kevin

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

This is one of my favorite plants. I do get suckers and remove them, but it's hard to do since I want to keep them all! Last fall the color was amazing, but even just for the summer foliage it's worth it. But yes it does sucker freely for me and some of them come up several feet away from the main plant.