Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak leaf hydrangea

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 23:06

I just thought you all would like to see this. I don't know how common they are elsewhere, but this is one of the plants that draws the most attention by visitors in my garden. People can't believe it's a hydrangea.

Thought I'd share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak leaf hydrangea

H. quercifolia is the only hydrangea I have in the yard. A seedling I got at a swap years ago, it's gotten pretty large.

They usually have nice fall color.

o

That is impressive when even not in full bloom! And so this begs the request to post a photo when it is full flower.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:46

I love love love love LOVE oakleaf hydrangeas. I'd love them even without the massive blooms just for the massive-sized foliage. Even better is the massive-sized rich burgundy fall foliage!

I have "Snow Queen" and some other large no-name ones which have gotten well established over the years. Also have "Pee Wee", which is a fine shorter cultivar.

Oakleafs can be touchy in colder zones until fully established IME - some TLC the first few winters until they really root in well and then they're totally care-free. Nothing bothers them, either pest or disease, IME at least. Just make sure they're well watered with at least partial sun and WOWZA!

Will try to snap pics and post later - in case anyone is needing a push over the edge :0p

o

i love them - but they don't love me! Hardiness is definitely an issue here, probably compounded by the hot, dry summers. I'd love to have one that looks as healthy as BlueBirdPeony's!

o

woodyoak - It's only a suggestion but if you're so inclined, set a recycled gallon milk jug close to the base of the plant and fill it with water. Punch a pinhole an inch from the bottom of the jug and let it water the plant at the base. It's the poor man's irrigation system. Foliage generally hides the jug from view. It's kept my hydrangeas & astilbes alive through a drought season or two.

o

Wow. Nice.

o

gardenweed - a viable idea except that one of my garden philosophies is 'survival of the fittest' :-) If something can't survive the conditions, it isn't meant to be in my garden - no matter how nice the plant is or how much I want it to be there! So my two oakleaf hydrangeas have to tough it out on their own.....! I've given up trying to add any more though and am reasonably content to just admire other people's.

o

here they get 8-10 feet tall and as wide-yes once established they are gold!

o

I have the cultivar 'Alice' (won as a door prize 7-8 years ago) which is supposed to be a vigorous selection by Michael Dirr. It blooms on old wood, so didn't bloom for probably the first five years I had it, due to winterkill. If it wasn't for the attractive red leaves in the fall, I would have ripped it out. I guess it finally got acclimatized to its new planting location and has bloomed each year since then. It must be just borderline hardy for me, and the dry summers don't help either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here