Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdpeony

Do pinks rebloom for you?

BlueBirdPeony
10 years ago

Mine didn't last year. Just wondering if anyone has any success with reblooming?
Thanks!

Comments (12)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

Are you referring to Dianthus? If so, no mine don't.

• coolplantsguy
    10 years ago

Certain varieties do sporadically re-bloom after their main flush, e.g. 'Firewitch'.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

There was just a thread about this a few weeks ago - it's probably on page 2 or 3 of the forum. Lots of good answers there, and the consensus was that it rebloomed for some and not for others. Most of mine do.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

yes, the old fashioned pinks such as Mrs Sinkins often bloom only once but many newer (modern) pinks such as the famous 'Doris' will rebloom. However, what sort of pinks did you mean?

• molie
    10 years ago

I'm assuming you mean Dianthus, right? I cut mine back and some varieties rebloom, just not as profusely as the first time around.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I do mean Dianthus. I don't know what the specific variety is unfortunately. I think I have a few kinds. Sounds like I need to figure out what kind it is. Thanks!

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

There are many different dianthus - some rebloom, some do not. This really is a case where the full latin epithet is useful.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, campanula. I need to get better at my Latin. Everything is new to me so learning the common names is overwhelming enough right now. Would a picture help? See attached.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Those look like maiden pinks - dianthus deltoides (rather than cheddar pinks - d.grationopolitanus such as Firewitch)......and should rebloom if you shear them back after the first bloom cycle. Hard to tell from the picture but essentially, d.deltoides tends to have foliage which is deep green while cheddar pinks have a more blue-green glaucous look.
    Actually, both types will rebloom as long as they are cut back (deadheaded).
    Are your pinks fragrant? Maiden pinks are usually lacking in scent.

• lola-lemon
    10 years ago

Mine all rebloom depending on how many seed pods I let them develop. I treat them like petunias and pop their fading flowers every few days and they bloom most of the summer. I don't shear them because they always have more buds coming, but I think shearing would make them tidier. By the end of the summer they are getting a little rangy.

• BlueBirdPeony
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, campanula. Mine do not have a scent, so you are probably right. I'm going to deadhead them and try!

How low should I trim? Just the tips? Or a bit lower down? I like to do it with large shears because doing it by hand is kind if a pain. Is that ok?

Thanks!!

• aharriedmom
    10 years ago

Several years ago, I planted some perennial dianthus seed (the small, about 1/2" flowers), and bought some annual plants (the "typical" 1-1/2, flat flowers). -- sorry, I can't remember the botanical names anymore.

Most of the annuals I still have, and they bloom on & off all year long. I ruthlessly dig them up to move them around whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I shear them way back, which I'm really NOT supposed to do, according to what I've read, but I find the foliage gets a little sad looking a few times a year. I recently dug up about 8 or 9 of the worse looking plants, and potted them, leaving the two best in my rearranged bed. Most of the ones in pots seem to be very pleased with the move, and are growing like crazy.

None of the "perennial" came back after the first year, during which they never really performed well.

I bought two perennial plants (the scented varieties) a couple months ago, one died after about 3 weeks, the other is not reblooming, even thought it's been cut back.