Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Jacob Cline Looking for Companion Plants

lovefornature
14 years ago

Hi All :)

I have a perennial bed I am designing in my front yard because my dogs eat all of my plants in the back. Last year, they ate my Lilac Tree down to a stub and demolished my Coneflowers.

The perennial bed needs to look somewhat tidy since it will be in the front yard.

It is approximately 20 feet long by 10 feet deep. The bed is part sun, mainly afternoon sun.

I have a Jacob Cline I am planting in the bed as the centerpiece. There will also be a hummer feeder there.

I am not very good at complimenting colors and shapes for things to look great together. What other two colors compliment red really well and would look good around and in front of the Bee Balm?

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

Monarda is an agressive spreader, so whatever you choose, they need to be tough, fairly large plants.

• katefisher
    14 years ago

Since you like hummers you no doubt know this already. But on Sunday my husband and I were relaxing in the back yard and saw a hummer repeatedly visit my Nepata 'Walkers Low' catmint. First time since I planted it I have actually seen a hummingbird there.

However catmint is another mad grower so if you go that way be ready with the pruners:) It has double in size since being planted last fall.

Kate

• donnagwd
    14 years ago

Monarda wasn't invasive for me and it finally died out. I had a lovely bed going with light peach (unnamed) daylilies, a tall purple/blue salvia (alsodon't know name) and rudbeckia "Goldsturm". They bloomed almost simultaneously and were stunning together.

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

Monarda is easily thinned and controlled. The roots are very shallow. If it gets too large, you can yank the stalk and pull them out one by one. You can then take these stalks and plant them some place else and they will take root like crazy. You might have some out of the way location that you could plant the extras in where the hummers can enjoy more of them. Mine get really close to my Evelyn Rose each year. I always rip several stalks out and relocate them to the edge of the woods nearby.

• DYH
    14 years ago

Jacob Cline is a glorious red monarda, IMHO. I love it (just planted last fall and it is blooming). It is with nepeta Walkers Low.

I wish I had it planted right in front of my miscanthus 'Cosmopolitan' instead of a few feet down the slope. From a distance, I can see the red against the green/white foliage of the grass and it is a stunning combo.

Cameron

• martha_e_olszewski
    6 years ago

My Jacobs Cline did well the first couple of years now it keeps dyeing off Any suggestions???

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Martha, You might want to start your own thread since though it's the same plant, it's a different topic. Also, if you start your own thread you will be informed when there is a reply. go to the top of this page just above the original post and click on the green link that says Perennials. That will take you to the perennials forum where there is a box at the top where you can put in your question with a title.

More info is needed - Where are you in the world? How much sun? Is the soil clay or sand or lots of organic material or . . . ? Are there other plants nearby, and if so what?

You also might want to add a photo of the dying plant since sometimes that gives clues to the problem.

• posierosie_zone7a
    6 years ago

I have a garden with purple and yellow flowers with some white and bright pink accents. Purple and yellow are opposites on the color wheel so they are a classic combination. It is softened by the fact the purple is more a lavender and the colors are spread over a large area with lots of green.

You have red probably with the monarda. You can look at the color wheel and see green is the opposite of red, so colors near green will give a punch. Dark blue/navy is also often paired with red, but we'll have to rely on others for suggestions on that one (containers/accents?). Colors closer to red (orange,pink, etc) will be more soothing (in theory although red is very warm so I would tend to want to tone it down).

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES