Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Fern Pics (hey Kevin!)

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

The other fern post is way down there, so hope no-one minds me starting a new thread...if you do oh well...

Finally got around to snapping some fern pics.

Here are the Dryopteris (Autumn fern) showing their spring color. As the season progresses, they will change to a rich green with a leathery texture, and will lose the vase shape. Love, love, LOVE these ferns!

{{gwi:245162}}

Same grouping, from the other side of the bed:

{{gwi:245163}}

Japanese painted ferns. Like I said, you've got to plant them in the front, then they really stand out:

{{gwi:245164}}

{{gwi:245165}}

{{gwi:245167}}

"Lady in Red" lady ferns. Unfortunately you can't see the red stems very well here.

{{gwi:245168}}

Comments (12)

• david883
    10 years ago

I love the painted ferns! I had one I ordered from Spring Hill Nursery and it never really took off... just sprouted a little and died. Hopefully the replacement comes soon!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

The Autumn Ferns are really nice. I love the shape and color. Would these do OK in a sunnier area as long as they have water?

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

what ever happened with your wall project

thx for the fern tour

ken

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Japanese painted ferns. Like I said, you've got to plant them in the front, then they really stand out:

And yet I have the opposite. I have some JPF planted several years ago positioned way, way at the back. And there is no doubt it is only I who know they are there! I guess given my limited space I am not yet horticulturally mature enough to give away the front of the garden to non flowering perennials.

But now that I think of it I have a new shade garden that for sure I could include some of the JPF in a more up front location. How did I miss that?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken -- the project is in the design stage, I'm supposed to review the design this week with the company, scheduled to get done this summer. I am NOT happy about having to spend the $$$ but no doubt it will look fantastic when it's done. Thanks for asking :0)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin -- I think the autumn ferns would do fine in a part-sun location. I probably wouldn't plant them in full sun, though.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

I agree - autumn ferns are wonderful plants! so are JPFs...

Have you tried 'Ghost' ferns? They are nice.

I planted some Branford Beauty ferns in 2011 - they look to have promise of good silvery interest but are still very small so I have my fingers crossed that they will bulk up nicely sometime soon!

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

mxk3 wrote: Japanese painted ferns. Like I said, you've got to plant them in the front, then they really stand out:

Because of your thread I went out and bought two JPF and planted them at opposite ends of a shady front border! The specific variety is "Burgundy Lace".

Are you familiar with BL?

10 years ago

I was just out in the backyard with the camera and thought of this thread when I passed my favorite ferns. I couldn't tell you what the green one on the left is :-) but the silvery one on the right is a 'Ghost' fern - that one is definitely worth adding!
    {{gwi:197350}}

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I LOVE Athyrium 'Ghost'. Truly one of my favorites, and it has the size and presence to really light up a shaded area. Once it really settles in it just gets better and better each year. One of my friends has had a clump in his garden since 2004. For the past several years, it has been a showstopper. I can't wait till my own plants grow up.

I have been curious about 'Branford Beauty'. Anyone know how it differs from 'Ghost'? The descriptions sound very similar if not identical.

I have also noticed one called 'Ocean's Fury' in catalogues. It seems to be like a crested version of 'Ghost'.

I just ordered a few northern maidenhairs, Adiantum pedatum, to add to my shade bed. These seem to be hardier than I thought as long as they stay moist. I expect great things to come in a few years! :-)

10 years ago

I planted a couple of Branford Beauty a year or two ago. They are very small still; at this point they have more of the low/wide look of a JPF, so I'm not sure yet hom they'll look longterm.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hey.. the wall.. did you go with a mason.. or a landscaper.. that was the pressing issue...

ken