Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pam_whitbyon

Heebie Jeebies time...

pam_whitbyon
9 years ago

WARNING: Arachnophobes go no further!

I thought I'd take some pics of this pretty little arrangement in a planter on my back porch, this morning. I was really happy with the colour combinations and I liked how the sun was hitting the flowers.

{{gwi:245373}}

{{gwi:245374}}

Then this caught my eye. At first I thought it was a dried up flower and I almost grabbed it. Then I looked a bit closer and my skin started to crawl...

Good for the garden, I know. But still, eeeeek... !! I'm hoping that when i look tomorrow, they'll all have grown up and run away!

{{gwi:245375}}

Comments (7)

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

OMG!!!

I would be torn....throw it away....no spray it...throw it away...spray it

Too pretty to throw away

Eeeeek good luck!

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

they float away on a single thread of silk that they spin into the wind-if you look closely they are lovely- like goldsmiths work

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

They are usually good guys. Its hard to tell but it looks like it could be Golden Garden spiderlings, if so they are orphans left to fend for themselves because the mother dies after laying eggs, they will disperse soon. Black Widow or Fiddleback , yea I'd spray, but not a Golden Garden Spider, they are harmless bug predators. If I'm lucky, I have one or two each year setting up residence.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

With the exception of brown widows and black widows, for the obvious reasons, spiders get a welcome in my garden. Well, I might swipe away an orb weaver on occasion during the summer months... but when you suddenly smack your face into their webs (especially when it is late evening or predawn) and they are crawling on your face or hair, it is purely a reactionary movement! lol Why must they always make their webs at face level across walkways???

But I understand, not everyone likes the crawlier critters. Those golden ones are little cuties though. :)

• pam_whitbyon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, my baby argiopes have gone, just as I had hoped. Lovely description, David. It made me feel very differently about them :) The older I get, the more amazed I am by nature.

TR, from what I've read, they are extremely good for the garden! Gyr, I know what you mean, they have a way of getting in our faces, so to speak!

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

they were at my house last week-when they float away would rather not have them float on me-your color combos-sweet

• ms_xeno
    9 years ago

Three cheers for arachnids! A few weeks ago, I noticed small black beetles doing a number on my sedums and was sick with worry. Then about ten days ago, I suddenly noticed small black spiders with white marks on the abdomen hiding in some of the sedums, too. They don't spin webs and I think they're nicknamed "wolf" or "jumping" spiders.

Most of the beetles seem to be gone now. I think I know why. :D

For what it's worth, I have a terrible dislike of earwigs. I see them crawling around and invariably reach out with the trowel and try to swat them into the next county. I know they can't hurt me, but the sight of them still freaks me out. :o

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm