Posted by davids10 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 0:07

dangerous beauty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: datura belle blanche

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 6:41

I love Datura! Grow it as an annual up here. Beautiful greenery, large pure white flowers that are fragrant, and really cool seedpods - what's not to love about it?

o

I found my D. wrightii growing on a hilltop near my home.. The bees are CRAZY about it! They will crowd into a the buds just before opening at sunset and have a darn happy hour brawl over the pollen, often breaking the flower bud in the process.. I think they are all hallucinating and having a real intense trip inside that closed room breathing in some powerful vapors. They stagger out and head back to their hive with their behind legs just full of pollen. I will not see a bee back at the bush for a couple of weeks. I imagine them at gome all hung over without the energy or the memory to get back to my plant.

I stopped growing them because a neighbor now has bees and she brings me honey for my sacrifice. Below is a set of my Datura pictures.

I forgot to mention that when they bloom in the fall cool cloudy DAYS they get this lavender edge on their blooms. The Indians can't make up their minds about this some call it sacred and some call it a trash plant , known to grow around the white man's dumps. maybe that is all hors shizz. I collect all sorts of hearsay in this trap I have above my shoulders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Datura album

o

used to grow brugmansia indoors but got tired of fighting the whiteflies and switched to the annuals. hadnt had any for a couple of years but volunteers sprouted in the veggie garden. dont have hornworms but supposedly they will eat the daturas in preference to tomatoes. datura honey is mildly hallucinogenic with a bitter tang that tastes like the leaves smell.

o

They come back from the roots here. No problem with white flies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here