Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This isn't poison ivy... is it?

Posted by diggerdee z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 0:08

I have this viney plant growing a lot around the garden. I don't think it's poison ivy, but I'm not...quite...sure...

Gee, looking at the photos in this post it looks more like pi than it does in the garden, lol! The newer leaves have more of a 3-pointed leaf, which gets more rounded into a single-leaf shape as it gets bigger

Can anyone ID this for sure?

Thanks,
Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This isn't poison ivy... is it?

You could pick a leaf and rub it all over your hands and see what happens. That might give you your answer......

Yes, I've been known to do stupid stuff, but that might be a bit too much.... maybe.... I would have to think about it....

Kevin

o

Not poison ivy

o

It looks like it could be bind weed. It's not pi.

o

It's American hog peanut AKA groundnut. A native wild vine in the pea family. It has edible seeds and edible tubers, and will bear small pink flowers similar to sweet pea or vetch.

Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF database for this plant.

o

My first thought on seeing the thread title was...you'll know in less than 24 hours.

I don't think it's poison ivy, but that plant is tremendously variable in appearance so no guarantees.

o

Here's my poison ivy, I think you're safe.

Michelle

o

Thanks Dennis. I think this was the stuff I once pulled off a tree peony. It wasn't anything I was familiar with. The seed pods were totally bizarre.

Dee, definitely not PI.

o

It looks a lot like Kudzu.

o

Thank you for your responses - well, except for yours, Kevin. ;)

I really didn't think it was poison ivy, especially in its young form, but as Eric points out, PI is so variable. I've got lots of trees that look just like Michelle's and I've got PI that is more rounded, PI that is more pointy, and PI that is more like the photos above - sometimes its hard for me to keep them all straight. (I've also got some other 3-leafed weed growing that I will have to post and ask about).

And while I didn't think this was PI, I was still not sure enough to touch it, lol.

I googled hog peanut and it does look similar. Disturbingly, so do some of the images of kudzu. But I don't think that is this far north... yet.... is it?

Thanks everyone. It will still get sprayed with the cider & salt solution, but at least I won't be so nervous to brush up against it!

Dee

o

Just so you know, American Hog Peanut (Amphicarpaea bracteata) and Hog Peanut (Apios americana) are two separate plants that share a common name and are kind of similar in appearance.

If you just google the term "hog peanut" without the qualifier "American" you generally get links to the wrong one.

o

Just so you know, American Hog Peanut (Amphicarpaea bracteata) and Hog Peanut (Apios americana) are two separate plants that share a common name and are kind of similar in appearance.

If you just google the term "hog peanut" without the qualifier "American" you generally get links to the wrong one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here