Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizema

Delphiniums Drying Up/Burning/Turning Crispy

lizema
10 years ago

My delphinium is in her second year and put out a STUNNING display for me this season. She was budding up again for another round when she just started inexplicably drying up. I can only describe it as a quick burn.

Her leaves never yellowed, nothing drooped, and the soil has been kept moist. We're in our second heatwave, and this one has been particularly brutal (over 6 days of over 95*) so maybe I'm not watering ENOUGH? She's shown no sign of disease, spots or holes in her leaves before they started browning/burning. Her leaves aren't dropping, just drying to a crisp and remaining on the stalks which are starting to dry out, too. This has all happened during the past week (coinciding with the heatwave).

She's in a well-ventilated area in full sun (9:30-10 AM til 6:30 or so).

I'm a very new gardener, and I'm at a complete loss as to what to do for my girl. I don't want to lose her and am hoping someone can shed some light on my situation, and, hopefully, offer some solutions. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I can post a picture, but I just wanted to get this question out there as soon as possible.

Comments (9)

• molie
    10 years ago

Others who grow more of these luscious plants may have better suggestions. For me, here in southern CT, delphinium has never been a true perennial. I've had several that have died out completely after a few seasons. That said, the description of your plant sounds to me like a reaction to the heat wave because they generally prefer a cool, moist environment --- though sometimes they do get overwatered and crown rot occurs.

What variety is yours? Could you post a picture that shows your plant's "home"?

If she were mine, I'd cut her down and hope for the best. You might get another flush of growth or she might die back but return next year. I love these plants and seem to pick one or two up every few years. I kind of treat them like annuals --- very expensive but very beautiful annuals. Good luck with yours!

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

I had to smile when I read brutal heat wave. How about going on the 4th week of over 100? Thats brutal. Last year it was 54 days of over 100. My delphiniums were attacked by brown thrashers. Birds that shake the stems to dislodge insects. Of course it breaks the stems. I had some nice flowers for the house,not what I really intended.

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Flowergirl70ks,
    Face it, some of us are just too fragile to survive the kind of heat you live with. I'd be digging me a deep cave if I lived where you do.

LizEMA,
    It does sound as if the heat got the better of your Delphinium. Hopefully temporarily. We'll all send positive vibes in your direction and hope it returns with cooler weather.

Martha

• lizema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everybody,
    Thank you ALL SO much for responding. :-) I so very much appreciate all of the insight that you've all given. My delph had already survived a previous heatwave (though less intense) several weeks ago completely unscathed so I was fairly baffled, but, duh! Of course that kind of intense heat is going to make an impact. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something *I* was doing or NOT doing.

I have learned very quickly that yes, Ken, things are ALWAYS changing in my yard. (I lost almost all of my coreopsis this year to HORRIFIC powdery mildew. :( And, no, EMA is not my location; I'm in southern NY.) As a beginner, it's nice to be reminded that sometimes Mother Nature does not always comply with our own plans and it's not always from lack of care or love that causes our beautiful plant babies to not do well or, worse, DIE.

I'm sure that you can all relate to that feeling of being completely lost and not knowing ANYTHING when just getting started. It's overwhelming and imbues such a sense of failure; sometimes it feels like I'll never know what I'm doing. It's invaluable being privy to the knowledge of gardening veterans, and I am truly grateful to all that responded. You guys are AWESOME! Thanks again, all!

• HU-364428772
    4 years ago

Delphinium are weird. Sometimes they can be hearty, sometimes finicky. In general, they need full sun AND lots of water both. They need to be dead headed and pruned REGULARLY. I have 8 of them and need to be pruned to promote new blooms. I

dont let them get too dry or they’re done. So in general, plant IN SUN AND WATER THEM GENEROUSLY PERIOD. And then they’re easy.

• dbarron
    4 years ago

And if you forego the fussy hybrids not adapted to most of the US, there are native delphiniums that do just fine. Pick one (or several) native to your region.

I've grown delphinium exaltatum for years...and it's just finishing up a wonderful flower display and seeds everywhere (hope to have some volunteers sow about..never have).

• Calicat Jbv
    3 years ago

should i put her in a pot in shade - shes miserable in this heat wave in cincinnati

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

probably .... roots like to be cool ... pots in sun.. have hot roots ...ken