Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rudbeckia Reseeding

Posted by dianasan z5 Mtl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 0:33

I have the following Rudbeckias planted next to each other in a bed: Indian Summer, Maya, Goldilocks and Double Daisy. These are perennials in my zone.

Do Rudbeckias reseed by themselves or should I save seeds and sow them myself?

Also, will they crosspollinate? If so, then what will next year's plants look like?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rudbeckia Reseeding

If you don't deadhead, then they do reseed a lot. Sometimes too much. You can also save seeds and sow them yourself if you want them to sprout in a particular area. They do cross-pollinate if you have several cultivars growing together. This will result in a mish-mash of blooms the following year, some of which could be quite pretty. Perhaps if you have only 1 cultivar growing in your garden, it will seed true?

Rudbeckia hirta is not perennial in our zone. In my experience, some plants will be annual, others live 2 years, occasionally a plant will come back for a 3rd year, but I've never had one live longer than that.

o

Ditto to what terrene said - they will reseed, which I think is great (so far, lol) and they are not reliably perennial even in my zone 6, although I have had several plants come back here and there.

However, I do have several cultivars growing together, and reseeding, and so far I don't think I've noticed cross-pollination. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying that I have not been attentive enough to notice!

If you really don't want to risk cross-pollination, you should probably collect seed and sow it. If you don't mind the possibility, just leave a few seed heads up.

I absolutely love my r. hirtas and would not be without them. Enjoy!

:)
Dee

o

Thank you both for your advice. I love all 4 varieties that I'm growing so I hope that some will reseed true, however, I agree that cross pollination might produce some interesting blooms.

Thank you.

o

Do you have any photos of your garden that you can post here for all to see?

o

Haven't taken any photos yet this year. But will post some after I figure out how.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here