Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

The Terrific Usefulness of Variegated Liriope in Deep Shade

arbo_retum
11 years ago

I have grown gold and green variegated liriope for a long time now, but have recently noticed that it does very well with tolerating dense shade. I had it planted as a border edging under a golden barberry this last yr or two. I recently noticed that it was wasted in that spot, so i dug it up today and moved it to another shady spot that is very visible and needed filling. What's so great about the liriope is that the leaves have kept their full bold (gold and green)strap leaf variegation and they seem to be tough as nails/ no insect or spotting problems have i ever seen on them. They also multuply (expand) well and are very easy to divide by pulling apart.And of course, in Sept/Oct they have those lovely violet flowering stems that complement Sedum autumn joy (and others) so well. While we also love and grow various variegated carex, they are much more picky about their location, particularly w/ regards to moisture needs.

Sooooo, if you are at least z.5/6 and have a difficult dry shady spot that could use brightening up w/ a no-fuss variegated plant/groundcover, I highly recommend variegated liriope.

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

Comments (8)