Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to divide shasta daisy?

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 2:17

I have a shasta daisy I want to divide, and I'm wondering if it would respond better if I divide it in the fall (I won't do it now because of the heat), or in the spring? Do they divide well? It seems like they're kind of temperamental.

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to divide shasta daisy?

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 7:26

I divide mine in Spring and Summer. I have done it in the fall, with mixed success. They seem to take quite a while to re-establish themselves, and half the divisions made in fall didn't survive winter. You're in zone 5, and they aren't reliably hardy in your zone, so I'd do it early enough they have plenty of time to settle in before winter.

o

I've had the best luck dividing mine in the spring. I do most of my moving and dividing in the fall, but as with donn, I've had mixed results with shastas in the fall. I've got 'Becky' which is very hardy for me.
Brenda

o

Thank you - I will hold off until next spring to divide.

Deanna

o

I divide mine early and often.....

To be honest I have no experience other than doing it in the spring but I have never had a problem with this. I have a very vigorous culivar that needs it every year. I just gouge out the sides. Soon I will probably have just a shasta daisy gaden with all my splits.

o

The above poster mentioned dividing by "just gouging out the sides." I was just wondering about this...does it work well on the Shasta "Becky?" Or do I have to dig the entire plant out of the ground then divide?

o

D'Sabato's book The Well Maintained Perennial Garden warns not to divide them in the fall. Suggest not to even plant them in the fall. Surprised to see she reports they are not reliably hardy in zone 5. Division every 2-3yrs.

o

I divided mine in September, and gave several to my neighbor. They're getting new growth right now, hers are too. I planted them three years ago, and they needed to be split up, didn't seem to affect them at all.
I dug mine up and split them with a big bread knife.Planted some in the same area and moved others to other areas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here