Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer/rabbit/squirrel repellent

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 4:44

The most effective repellent I've found turns out to be the simplest. Take a raw scrambled egg, and mix it in to a 1 gallon container about 2/3 full of water. Place a cap on the bottle, and shake it up daily. Surprisingly, this mixture doesn't make gas, so it's not necessary to vent it.

After a week, this mixture can be sprinkled around areas that you want to protect, or thin strips of paper towel can be dipped in it and hung on the branches of bushes or trees. This needs to be repeated every 2-3 days, or after it rains, of course! The scent is tolerable, but for wildlife, it's overwhelming. No more nuts in my planters courtesy of FTR's (F'ng tree rats). A friend of mine is finally getting to enjoy his raspberries using this, placing it in small dishes (or old jar lids) every few feet around the beds. A little dab'll do ya! It works. Let me know how this works for you!
Good luck,

Rick in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer/rabbit/squirrel repellent

I will TRY this, but I have tried almost everything and nothing helps continuously. Seems they get used to the smell after a few weeks.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 11:48

Thanks for the tip!

o

Dunno....I use it all summer with no problem. They all move along to my neighbors' gardens. (j/k)

I have heard but never tested these ideas:
1) string a single clear monofilament --fishing line-- about 3 feet off the ground, around the garden. Deer are apparently freaked out by this 'invisible wall', and won't cross it.
2) surround the garden with a 3 foot wide ring of plain plastic trellis, laid flat on the ground. Deer at least won't cross it, not wanting to chance tangling their hooves in this hazard.

Keep us posted if you try these!

--Rr

o

Liquid Fence-the ONLY thing (and I've tried them all) that works

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here