Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird outgrowth on my oxalis triangularis.

Posted by Leninija none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 4:48

Hi,

I recently bought three oxalis triangularis purpurea. On one of them was this weird outgrowth I've never seen before.

From one of the flower stems (oxalis triangularis has different sets for flowers and different for leaves) it seems like it has started to grow leaves and also two new stems with leaves in the end of them.

If I watch the cluster of flowers where the new stems emerge from its like a green irregular formation almost like a spiral or something like that.

I know that the oxalis usually are multiplied by dividing the rhizozomes/bulbs. But are they able to multiply some other way? Could that be what's happening? Have someone seen this before? Can oxalis create a daughter plant on its stem like the orchid? Or could a seed inside one of the flowers have started to grow (seems almost impossible though...)

I have searched the internet on both Swedish and English sites, but found nothing.

Sincerely,
Cecilia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird outgrowth on my oxalis triangularis.

Here's a closer picture...

o

Looks like a proliferation to me. It is not harmful to the plant and often corrects itself eventually.

The experts don't know what causes it- possibly from a genetic mutation.

On roses it shows itself as a flower bud arising from the open flower on the same plant- similar to how monarda looks. On daylilies it shows itself as a small fan attached to the node on the scape/stem. These plantlets can be rooted in water to make a plant that is 100% genetically the same as the parent plant. Don't think there is any way for you to make new plants off of this though...
CMK

o

Thank you CMK!

Then I'll know if it happens again. Thanks for your kind answer.

Cecilia

o

I've never seen this on oxalis. Very cool. I'll have to check mine tomorrow.

o

You are very welcome Cecilia ;-)
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here