Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can shasta daisies get fungus?

Posted by grandma_gardener_02 z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 6:34

Last year we planted several shasta daisies. This year they are huge lush flowering plants. However, one [which for the most part is blooming beautifully] is having a problem only on one side. The leaves are yellowing and hanging limply from the stalks and the flowers on these stalks are dying. We are in an excessive heat/drought situation at present. Thinking at first this could be due to stress I made sure it was watered. This made no difference. Then I noticed that this was happening to only one plant and that the others all in the same location were having no problems. So wondered if the problem could be a fungus, so sprayed with a fungicide. I have pruned out as much of the dying stalks as I could.

I thought that shasta daisies were not given to such problems.

Any ideas anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can shasta daisies get fungus?

So wondered if the problem could be a fungus, so sprayed with a fungicide.

===>>> sounds a bit premature to go the chemical route..

you know you are in drouhgt..

and that plants wills sacrifice older leaves in such..

and watering after tissue damage will not restore those leaves ...

and yes.. it can happen to one plant in a bunch ...

i think you wasted the chems...

insure all your plants get the same water.. IMHO ...

ken

o
RE: can shasta daisies get fungus?

Shasta daisy can get fungus. It can even die because of it. It applies to other plants from Compositae(Asteraceae) like Helenium , Aster novi-anliae and others. But dying stalks can also be caused by something gnawing the roots. Several times I dug up such a plant and there was a big fat larva of something under the wilting part of the plant)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here