Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asiatic Lilies and Deer?

Posted by gazania z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 08 at 7:07

I have had Asiatic Lilies in my gardens for over 10 years. I have also had a lot of deer tromping and chomping through my gardens for over 10 years. Up till yesterday, the deer have at least tasted, if not totally consumed, just about everything I have planted except the Asiatic Lilies. Well, this morning I found 3 different lily patches seriously chewed. The tops of some were completely gone, while the stems of some just had the leaves chewed off one side or were broken off. THIS MEANS WAR!!! Have the deer ever bothered your Asiatics?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asiatic Lilies and Deer?

Have they ever bothered my Asiatics? They eat every single Lily bud they can reach! They LOVE Lilies, especially buds and just opened flowers! Deer munch on all types of Lilies in my garden: Asiatics, Trumpets, Orienpets, Orientals... Did I mention Asiatics? Lilies are their second best lunch after Hostas. I am currently experimenting with all kinds of repellents. Nothing seems to work reliably. I can not use electric and water devices because of our cat. Deer Off works, but you have to reapply it after each rain.

o

Oh yeah. The deer love asiatic lily. Actually they love any plant in the lily family.

o

Next to tulips, lilies are the favorite food of the deer at my place : (

Fortunately, most of them move up into the mountains in the summers here, so the damage is hit and miss. I haven't done anything to deter them yet, accept put fencing around an apple tree seedling.

Bonnie

o

They eat mine every chance they get. I hate deer!

o

Since I knew about the deer problem here when we built our house in THEIR meadow (yes, they sleep in my front yard every night), I had to plant the outer gardens with deer in mind. In fact, I believe we babysit the newborn fawns that sleep right behind our screened porch during the day while the does are out foraging! The moms leave the fawns close to us, I assume for protection. Strange. It's come to that! :-)

Asiatic lilies, daylilies, roses, etc. go inside my fence to keep them away from deer. I'm sorry that you've had all this damage...it's so disappointing, I know from my previous house.

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening blog focuses on deer

o

Deer always leave their newborn fawns in tall grass when they go foraging. Fawns up to 5 days or so have no scent, so predators will not find them, but the moms have scent so they stay away and just come back to nurse. After 5 days the fawns are up and walking and eating on their own.

o

So, many of you have had lily/deer problems. I guess the deer were just biding their time till I had enough planted to keep them satisfied before they began to indulge. I'll bet they have been walking through my yard for the last 10 years snickering to themselves about how they were tricking me into thinking that they don't eat lilies! That is what I call patience!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here