Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Astilbe not fully flowering

Posted by yonderbound 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 7:43

My astilbe has flowers but they do not puff out. Anyone know the reason why? I have two different reds and they both do this while my white bridal veil is fine and beautiful. One of the red is Glut.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Astilbe not fully flowering

How long have you had them? I almost gave up on mine as it did the same thing.

Maybe it just needs more time...

Here is mine 3 years later...finally "puffed" out.

o

I've had them 5 plus years!

o

Here's my Glut:

It would be helpful to have a photo of yours to see if there really is a problem. 'Glut' doesn't puff out like the one in the post above, but the color is so intense, it really doesn't matter IMO. Different hybrid Astilbe have different parentage, so you can't expect all the flowers to look the same.

Kevin

o

Kevin,

Mine looks just like yours but no puffing at all. Does yours eventually puff all totally? Will try and get photo.

Thanks
Debbie

o

My Bressingham beauty is performing the same. No puffiness!

o

No, it doesn't puff at all.

Kevin

o

Puffing out? My white Bridal Veils don't puff out.... Are they supposed to?!

o

Puffing out? My white Bridal Veils don't puff out.... Are they supposed to?!

o

• Posted by babera 5a (Montana) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:40

I have a white one, I think, its so pale and un puffy I can't tell if its white or pink, I also have a pink one, pale, no puff. . . If there were more choices for shade I wouldn't even grow them. The foliage is pretty tho.

o

I have bridal veil and it is in full bloom with great puffiness. It is 12 feet Fromm the Bressingham which I stated above is not puffy. The Bridal Veil gets much more sun. I'm going to try and move the Glut and Bressingham to sunnier locations. Go figure. I'm a zone 3/4.

o

Did you even read what I wrote in my first reply? I'll post it again just in case you didn't.

'Glut' doesn't puff out like the one in the post above, but the color is so intense, it really doesn't matter IMO. Different hybrid Astilbe have different parentage, so you can't expect all the flowers to look the same.

Mine is in full sun, so what you see is what you get.

Kevin

o

• Posted by catkin UDSA Zone 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 22:21

Aren't the only puffy Astilbes the Chinese varieties?

ETA, my only puffed one is Astilbe chinensis 'Visions'. My Astilbe arendsiis are skinny....I spoke too soon and now see there are many puffy arendsiis, I need more puff!

This post was edited by catkin on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 22:24

o

Yonderbound - would you have a photo of your bridal veils that you could share here? I'd love too see them "puffed" because I want too see what I'm missing. I'm in 6B Canada zone and my astilbes only get morning sun. I can post pic of mine tomorrow.
Thanks,
Mira

o

Yonderbound - would you have a photo of your bridal veils that you could share here? I'd love too see them "puffed" because I want too see what I'm missing. I'm in 6B Canada zone and my astilbes only get morning sun. I can post pic of mine tomorrow.
Thanks,
Mira

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here