Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chelone obliqua 'Ieniemienie'

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:09

This plant was on my "2013 To Buy" list from very early on. (Chelone "Hot Lips" is one of my favorite perennials).

But the reduced size of this new variety was appealing as it opened up many more areas into which it could be placed i.e. a front border.

I bought 3 plants very early in the season i.e. May and they are now each less than a foot tall and healthy and since this past weekend they are coming into bloom. (My "Hotlips" although vigorous and healthy will not be blooming until August).

Here is a picture of one with some blooms. I will post more when all are fully open.

Any other GW members have this plant in their garden this season?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 16:16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chelone obliqua 'Ieniemienie'

Very cute plants! Are they planted in a more shady area? I think I see a Brunnera and astilbe leaves nearby.

Linda

o

Yes 'lily'. This one is lots of shade. In fact FWIW the other two on this same border are in much more sunlight and have yet to bloom.

o

Very interesting, Rouge.
As said, have found larger Chelone obliqua, just the species, to be quite an aggressive plant.

Agree entirely on the desirability of C. lyonii 'Hot Lips'.
Have found it such a contrast to C. obliqua; compact and very well behaved.

C. obliqua 'Leniemienie' sounds a great choice too.

o

Here is the third "Ieniemienie" flowering nicely and still my "Hot Lips" has yet to flower (although all my chelones are looking very healthy). So as a preliminary evaluation of "Ieniemienie" it does appear to bloom much sooner than other chelones and does stay quite short as advertised ie 12" tops.

o

UPDATE

My 3 "Ieniemienie" plants have grown lots in this their second season in our garden with the largest plant now 2 feet high and 32" across! (So definitely shorter than a regular Chelone but just as large in width)

And again this cultivar will bloom well before my favourite Chelone "Hotlips" as today I see the pink of flowers soon to come.

Does anyone else have this more compact form?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here