Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadeyplace

Moving a Glaucidium

shadeyplace
9 years ago

I have heard that you "should not move"! Glaucidiums. If however you want to move one, how would be the best way and what time of year?

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

I don't know in climates less mild than my own, but I dug up a well established plant in Nov 2012 taking a wide and deep area around the rootball, put it in a large pressed fiber pot where it spent a year until I got it replanted in my new gardens last Fall. It bloomed nicely this Spring, but I'm finding it looks a little beat up right now - it's new location not as protected and is getting a bit too much sun until some other plants grow larger, establish and shelter it.

• shadeyplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess the secret is to get enough soil around it. Do you think it would make a difference if it was put directly back in the ground? I guess fall then is the right time?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the best time to move anything.. IMHO ... to increase the odds of success ... is to move things... when days are warm .. NOT HOT ... and nights are cool .. for a recovery period ... that would be early spring or early fall ....

success is increased when you can take a large gob of soil with you ... to avoid transplant shock ... and i cant in my sand ... so timing is imperative ...

obviously the temperate PNW is much more forgiving than say.. the midwest ... as to july/august temps and drought ... dont really know where you are ????

the biggest factor in success .. is proper watering after the move ... late into fall ... and perhaps some during winter in your zone ...

EVERYTHING can be moved ... that is why we are allowed a nursery trade ... the worse that can happen... is that it dies.. and you have a space for something new ...

if you fail .... so what.. you tried ... if it has to be moved.. whats your choice ...

ken

ps: when i have a precious plant.. sometimes i rearrange other things.. and declare its siting perfect where it is ..... rather than move the treasure ... look outside the box you have already built for yourself ....

• shadeyplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good advice Ken. Many thanks. I guess I might try in the fall. I am in zone 7 on east coast in Baltimore.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

If I'd had the option of putting it directly into its new site and not containerizing it, I would have preferred that. I didn't mean to make it sound as though moving it into a pot was something you should do too....

We were selling the house, and new beds overrun with ivy, blackberry, false lily of the valley, volunteer laurel, alder ;)

OT - that glaucidium remains my most expensive perennial purchase ever, enough so, I remember the price and I've had it more than 10 years now.

• shadeyplace
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I don't HAVE to move it, so I think maybe I will remove things around it. Problem is, right next to it are my PRIZE yellow ladys slippers. Oh well>>>