Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Favorite groundcover sedums

whaas_5a
9 years ago

Right now I have Cherry Tart, Lime Zinger, Dazzleberry and Vera Jameson.

I'm pretty happy with all of them over the last couple years.

Curious what other favorite groundcover sedums are out there, specially to mix up the colors.

They seem like the most well behaved perennials that don't need dividing but yet divides easily and needs no care. A bonus for my sunny sandy slopes...did I get that right?

Comments (11)

• debbiecz3
    9 years ago

Angelina is a excellent bright yellow ground cover.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thats a new improved cultivar correct? Does it get 18" wide or is it really smaller than that?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

great minds think alike ... just suggested such in your tree ring post ...

i didnt know.. given decades... that sedum had size limitations...

most of them ... you could cut the root mass in a million pieces.. and lay them across some media in a tray ... and have hundreds of plants in a few months ...

well .... at least i know.. every piece i ever dropped on soil... rooted where i didnt want it.. lol ...

ken

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Cape Blanco is nice for contrast.

Annette

• lilsprout
    9 years ago

I second the Angelina. Changes colors from yellows to chartreuse to green to shades of orange.....

• ked1985
    9 years ago

I enjoy my dragon's blood, personally! Can pretty much pick it up and put it anywhere and it will grow. I also have two tall sedums; autumn fire and autumn delight (really nice bright green variegated leaves).

• felisar (z5)
    9 years ago

I have found that Angelina also will grow in dry shade. I have a big patch growiing under a river birch whose dense, shallow root system sucks all the moisture out of the soil. Don't know how it got there since I didn't plant it. Color is more subdued since it is in shade but at least it grows.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I was really hoping to track down at least one yellow one so Angelina looks like a good one.

The others looks nice too for additional colors.

Keep em coming! I have lots of spots to fill!

I think I'm going to use the sedums as my repeating plant throughout to gain some repetition among the "collected" plants..

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with too many different varieties, although I love the groundcover sedums. I guess I just fell in love with the first one I saw and never looked into them too much further. You seem to know more about them than I do, so I hesitate to make a recommendation, but I guess I will add my two cents!

That first one I saw and loved was kamtschaticum Weihenstephaner Gold. I started covering a hot, dry, sunny, poorly-soiled slope with that, little by little. Then, by mistake, I bought a dozen straight-up kamtshaticums, which I actually like better and have decided to use to finish the slope.

On the slope on the other side of the driveway (this slope fronts my entire road frontage, cut in half by my driveway), I thought I would switch things up a bit and tried planting John Creech, which I really, really love. Love the tight little swirls of foliage and I like the pink blooms better than the yellow of the kamschaticum. But John doesn't seem to like me, lol. Or at least, he doesn't like my slope. I can't seem to get him established strongly there. So I am going to probably use kamtschaticum there as well. By the way, I'm still looking for a source for bulk orders, if anyone knows of a reputable place.

I will say that both kamtshaticums seem to spread fairly slowly - seem to be clumpers rather than spreaders, so if that is what youmean by well-behaved, these will fit the bill - I personally wish they would spread more quickly!

The angelina, while quite beautiful, l've heard to be very vigorous. Not sure if anyone can confirm/deny that report.

Dee

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Angelina is definitely vigorous! But so easy to pull so not a big deal imo.

• garcanad
    9 years ago

Sedum cauticola 'Lidakense' (nice foliage and flower colour)
    Sedum sieboldii 'Mediovariegatum' (nice bright red fall foliage colour in addition to the pink flower.)
    Sedum spurium 'Tricolor'
    I also use 'Angelina' under some conifers. If they get enough light, they can look almost 'orange yellow' in late spring.