Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

An established Aralia Sun King?

From the description it does seem like a very appealing shade plant. However I have seen very few posts on GW describing a 'real life' multi-year established "Sun King". Does anyone here have one? In any event I did pick one up yesterday. This specimen is very healthy and the foliage colour is striking:

Comments (131)

• maggiemwng
    last year

I think ASK will live in a container, it seems like a really tough plant, but i would definitely choose a wide and deep container (with drainage hole) because it’s root system is long and fiberous, just take a look at FrozeBudd’s picture previously posted, it’s like a big mass of squid, and make sure to give it lots of water after transplant shock. I would put it on a rolling plant stand so it’s easier to move around the container with the soil and the plant.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked maggiemwng
  • grabembythegreenthumb
    last year

Jennifer, I am also in Zone 4 Minnesota. My Sun King has been up for nearly a month. You perhaps lost it this time, but I would try again. Mine has come up reliably every year for about 4-5 years, and I've had to move it twice. It's been a weird spring. I lost an established anemone, and I have plants that came in slow and late and are still looking weak and sparse.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked grabembythegreenthumb
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"...and I have plants that came in slow and late and are still looking weak and sparse."

Me too. All the ASK's came back beautifully again this year, but I lost some caryopteris and I don't know what's going on with the milkweed again this year -- reaaaallllly slow to poke through and growth is weak at best for many of them, which are well-established clumps. I did get the Sluggo down early so damage to shoots has been minimal -- but the problem is the paucity of shoots. Shoot!!!

I did put that one ASK in a container. Potted it into a big plastic nursery pot and slipped that inside a large clay planter, so should be no problem to haul it into the barn for the winter (with DH's help, of course). Seems to like its new home to far -- no transplant shock and it putting on some growth.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • grabembythegreenthumb
    last year

Me too. All the ASK's came back beautifully again this year, but I lost some caryopteris and I don't know what's going on with the milkweed again this year -- reaaaallllly slow to poke through and growth is weak at best for many of them, which are well-established clumps.

It's odd, my Alexander's Great Brunneras are doing splendidly, but the Jack Frost and the Looking Glass have 2 wimpy, struggling shoots. Hollyhocks are barely 6 inches tall...I think I also lost my lupine =(

Back to the ASK, though. Has anyone tried to propagate an ASK? I have one in the backyard, I'd also like to fill a spot in my front yard that I've been puzzling over.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked grabembythegreenthumb
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    last year

This past winter had some periods of harsh cold and wind.... definitely more difficult weather than we had experienced in the previous winter for sure. But our very established ASK has grown like gangbusters this spring...lots more vigorous than in previous years. It is now 4 feet wide and 3 feet high, and it is only June 3.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    last year

Mine are not large now, which I believe is due to our dry spring. I hope we do not have a dry summer!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • efischer95
    last year

I have three plants in a shaded east facing garden and they are doing well after 12 years. I live in Peterborough, Ontario and it is zone 4 and they are up and a lovely colour of gold today.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked efischer95
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last year

Grabe, brunneras are unpredictable things for me, one year thrive, the next year dead, or pined away, they seem to benefit from lifting every few years. Above, I did show of digging and dividing an established 'Sun King", the roots spread out a good deal and the you almost need an axe to cut through the crown of the plant, it was more of a workout than I had expected! Taking cutting from new shoots that have emerged should work well because these already are forming roots at the base of these shoots, I still might see if I can remove one or two of them as such!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

I almost bought what I thought was one yesterday, but there was no tag on any of the three at the garden center, no price and no sku for id. I waited 30 minutes while they were trying to figure out what it was, even though I thought it was an SKU. I finally gave up, but your picture is a dead ringer for the pot I almost bought!!

debra

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    last year

This ASK, picture taken today is the same one shown in the first post, 10 years ago.

It is 6.5 feet wide and 4 feet tall. It is the largest it has ever been.

• gawdinfever Z6
    last year

rouge that's beautiful! Your post made me purchase one. I transplanted a week ago and it seems to be settling in well. I hope mine grows into a pretty speciman as yours!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked gawdinfever Z6
  • lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

Wow, rouge, that’s big and gorgeous, can’t wait till mine grow up!

I purchased two small ones earlier this year after being a dummy and passing them up last year. They’re already growing quickly and doing so much to brighten one of my shady areas.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    Original Author
    last year

@lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan can you tell me if the picture you posted just above was done very recently? I ask as the colouring for mine definitely darkens as the summer progresses whereas yours (still?) has that spectacular chartreusese...very nice.

• lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    last year

@rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a), yes, that photo was taken yesterday right before I posted it. That little Sun King gets a couple of hours of sun during the day….the other one I planted gets less sun and is a bit more greenish. Perhaps the more yellowish coloring is because my plants are young?

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan
    Original Author
    10 months ago

It adds so much drama to my shade garden.

@annd001 that turn of phrase perfectly describes an ASK's contribution to a shade garden.

Here is ours yesterday....what a contrast to the 'darkness' around it:

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    10 months ago

Love these! Here is mine on the north side of my house...its very happy!

I moved one last year and eveidently left some...so now I have 3 :)

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We all know what an ASK looks like but we still love seeing pics of its gorgeous foliage!

So very pretty @GardenHo_MI_Z5 :).

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    10 months ago

Thank you Rouge. I put the ‘new division‘ in alot more sun, but right by the hose. So far it is doing well despite the hot week we had...it’s taking off nicely.

Original Author
    10 months ago

So far it is doing well despite the hot week we had

It has been my experience that ASK isnt as "water hungry" as I had read in reviews.

10 months ago

Rouge, do you think they might be like hostas in that they can live with some dry periods but won’t grow as large?

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    10 months ago

Deanna here are mine to compare...keeo in mind these have been moved around.

moved this one last year...to out of site=neglected. Shaded and much greener.

Tiny division moved about a week ago into sun (actually for the second time) and kept watered well.

The 2nd watered one has done so much better...really taking off and the color is nicer too in the sun.

Original Author
    10 months ago

That's an interesting thought @deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b. But I think that hostas would be more tolerant of less water than would be these Aralias.

• Cadence Nickelby
    10 months ago

GardenHo that's spectacular. I hadn't noticed the dark stems before seeing your photo.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Cadence Nickelby
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    10 months ago

I actually went back and bought the ASK once I determined that’s what it was. I put it in a big pot to start with then moved it in fall. I didn’t think it was alive this year,but sure enough it is only quite small right now.

debra

• maggiemwng
    10 months ago

Last year I accidentally discovered a baby King that germinated from seed (I had initially thought it was a weed). Last week I dug it out and decided to divide it because, well, the more the merrier! I sprinkled rooting hormone on the cut wound and planted them in 2 different spots. A week later now, both Tiny Kings are looking pretty good and settling in. I am attaching a photo of baby King before division, it is just slightly larger than my hand but the roots are quite fibrous already. I now have 5 adult ASK and 2 tiny Kings, total 7 in my garden :) This beautiful no fuss plant adds so much drama and light to any garden!

• ruth_mi
    10 months ago

@maggiemwng - That picture is so interesting - quite the root mass! I also have 5 "adult" (but still new) ASK and really love how they brighten up areas of the garden!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

pic from 6/6/23..mine was planted in the fall of 2021..so 2023 is my second summer..it died back completely not long after planting..I wondered if I would ever see it again but yay it’s doing well..

this is my first ASK..

I love it..I have a wooded lot..it’s growing in the shade..

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I came across this ASK that is butted right up to the foundation of our house (the chimney in fact). (This plant is either a division from another ASK or I moved it here from who knows where...I forget.) I don't see it regularly as not much else is in that area. I know that this spot is all clay, very little amending is done there and its water has to come from the heavens...and yet it is as healthy as a horse.

(Dont worry I have the goutweed under control :))

• rusty_blackhaw
    9 months ago

I was wary of planting a "Sun King" in approximately 2/3 day sun this spring, but it has been thriving and the leaf color is on the golden side of chartreuse. Looking good.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Excellent 'rusty'. (It is my experience that it can take more sun than one might have thought.)

Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I saw this very large ASK for sale at the nursery today,

Original Author
    9 months ago

(Our established ASK is now 4 feet high and 6 feet wide!)

• maggiemwng
    9 months ago

Wow that is big! I’ve never seen this big at nursery. Did you buy it? How much was it? And what store? I think you are in Toronto? My established ASK are also 4’ tall by 6’ wide, very happy in the shade garden.

Original Author
    9 months ago

Did not buy it. (We have two...thats enough). THe one pictured is $41 (CDN).

(How about a picture @maggiemwng)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    9 months ago

Here’s mine after a slow start. Still only the size of my Squash Casserole hosta.

debra

• maggiemwng
    9 months ago

Hello Rouge21, here are pictures of my ASK. All living in the shade garden happily. In the second picture with 2 large ASK, there is actually a 3rd behind them, and a 4th that is really tiny (split from a baby king earlier this summer, fortunately only one half survived, the second half did not make it… oh well, I tried).

Original Author
    9 months ago

Very nice @maggiemwng. I especially like the composition in that last picture.

• maggiemwng
    9 months ago

Thank you Rouge21. my intention was to have a symetrical design, but as always, my plants disagree with me and they just do whatever they want 🤣

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    9 months ago

mine is young and growing in dappled shade..not big but I love it..I’m injured and unable to weed but I still take pictures!..

maggiemwng..your ASK are beautiful..I love your boulders..

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@maggiemwng I think you are an Ontarians? Those pics look like you might be in cottage country? 🤔

• maggiemwng
    9 months ago

Yes an ontarian. i m a total mosquito magnet, they will eat me alive, so cottage country is not my thing 🦟🐍🕸️ 🐜🐛

Original Author
    9 months ago

Looks like your lovely location would be home to lots of 'squitoes ;).

• maggiemwng
    9 months ago

Thanks nicholsworth. give your ASK anout 2-3 years, they will become nice and big. Mine were like minions the first year. The second year they probably quadrupled. Third year they got real big. They are always the last to emerge in spring, then they go nuts and explode in summer.

• maggiemwng
    8 months ago

So I was cleaning up weeds underneath my boxwood hedge and I saw a gleam of chartreuse yellow and I immediately got excited. Is it a baby King I am seeing? Or is this weed? I found 2 baby kings underneath this same boxwood hedge before. I am going to leave it alone and let it grow a little bit. Time will tell!

• maggiemwng
    7 months ago

I have these polka dots on my ASK leaves surface, the underside is fine, no bugs no insects. Does anyone else have the same appear on theirs? My ASK are a few years old, this is the first time i am seeing dots on them.

7 months ago

I have no insight on the yellow spots. What kind of weather have you had this summer?

We’ve had tons of rain, and my ASK is so happy. These are my biggest two, and they are thriving. I would say the lack of sun has affected their color only slightly. After last year’s drought, I’m sure they’re happy to be overrun with moisture.

• maggiemwng
    7 months ago

Deanna your ASK is beautiful. This summer has been kind of weird, it was hot/cold/hot/cold with humidity, many of my plants got some kind of moldy fungus including my coleus and autumn joy sedum. Anyway, I am thinking of transplanting a mature one to another spot of my shade garden this weekend, has anyone tried transplanting in September? Will there be enough time for the roots to settle before frost hit? I prefer to do it now because temp is cool so easier on my body, doing it in spring is cold and wet :)

I remember FrozeBudd has done dividing a mature ASK before but I can’t remember if it was spring or summer or fall…how much root did you have per division, like 1 - 1.5 feet long? I remember you mentioned the roots were woody and difficult to cut, how are your 2 ASK doing now?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

My 'Sun King' had really put down roots and didn't want to do a hack job so I dug deep and wide. Then, the dividing part, like get out the chain saw, that crown thick and tougher than I ever could have imagined! I only had cut it into the two pieces and these hadn't skipped a beat, though one is in more sun and of better coloring. Next spring, I'll check see if a few smaller pieces can be eased off to add about the garden.

Deanna, your plant is amazing and Maggie, that's interesting about the spots, might be some form of virus, though whatever the cause I find it an attractive look.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I am sometimes surprised by the 'choice' certain insects make regarding the flowers they "hang around" ;). Case in point, the flower for ASK. To a human's eye they are quite meh. But wasps seem to love them.

(Its hard to see but take my word, there are 4 wasps on this sprig of ASK flowers)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    6 months ago

I love this plant. The one I have had in for many years is at least 7 x 7 so they can get quite big. I actually limb it up and back a bit. Agree about the flowers, the insects love them! Really enjoyed all the pictures and so happy this plant is getting lots of great attention!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Thyme2dig NH Zone 5