Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An established Aralia Sun King?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 8:30

From the description it does seem like a very appealing shade plant. However I have seen very few posts on GW describing a 'real life' multi-year established "Sun King". Does anyone here have one? In any event I did pick one up yesterday. This specimen is very healthy and the foliage colour is striking:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An established Aralia Sun King?

I grow Aralia with my Hydrangeas, not that particular cultivar, but find them easy and dependable in our climate. Al

o

Mine is getting huge...much larger than claimed by Terra Nova. Love it though!

o

As I recall Terra Nova gives the size as....3 ft by 3 ft? So how old and how big is yours echinacemaniac? Any chance of posting a picture or two?

o

Rouge, Terra Nova does indeed state 3' by 3', Plant Delights however says the plant gets up to 6 feet high. A rather big difference imo.

o

I was hoping a regular reader of GW might have a very established 'Sun King' who could comment on its true size.

o

It is awesome. I will post a photo tomorrow. It looks great with woodland phlox. The color contrast of the blooms of phlox and Sun King's foliage is awesome.

o

By coincidence I was in a nursery this morning and they had an outstanding group of potted "Sun Kings" for sale in gallon containers. I don't need another but I couldn't pass up such a specimen.

o

a2zmom wrote: Plant Delights however says the plant gets up to 6 feet high.

I would imagine that the final size for this herbaceous shrub/plant is greatly dependent on the hardiness zone in which it is grown. For example echinaceamaniac's zone 7 allows for a (much) longer growing season than would be the case in my z5.

o

UPDATE

I planted 3 of these ASK last season and all seemed to thrive. I am wondering/hoping if this plant is a late riser in the spring as I see no sign of it yet.

o

It probably is a late riser. I just bought three in pots from last season. they are alive, but just a half inch nub is barely visible on the soil surface.
idabean

o

I just got back from Hornbaker Gardens and not all of theirs had come up yet. Those that had only had a tiny nub showing. Read an article from confessions of a plant geek where he speaks of Sun King. He was rather unsure if it would be hardy below zone 5.
Anyway picked one up. Hope it does well.

o

Thanks 'patty' for the follow-up. Today I was impatient and I moved all the fall leaves and mulch away from one of my ASK and then I proceeded to gently scratch the dirt and lo and behold I did detect the most tiny of growth "nubs". So good to see and feel. And given that this past winter was quite severe...a good sign re its hardiness.

o

UPDATE

I planted 3 A.S.K. last summer and all three have come back strong after that trying winter. The picture below is representative of all 3 at this point in the spring. I am interested to see how large this plant can get in a zone 5 climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here