Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
An established Aralia Sun King?

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 8:30

From the description it does seem like a very appealing shade plant. However I have seen very few posts on GW describing a 'real life' multi-year established "Sun King". Does anyone here have one? In any event I did pick one up yesterday. This specimen is very healthy and the foliage colour is striking:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: An established Aralia Sun King?

I grow Aralia with my Hydrangeas, not that particular cultivar, but find them easy and dependable in our climate. Al

o

Mine is getting huge...much larger than claimed by Terra Nova. Love it though!

o

As I recall Terra Nova gives the size as....3 ft by 3 ft? So how old and how big is yours echinacemaniac? Any chance of posting a picture or two?

o

Rouge, Terra Nova does indeed state 3' by 3', Plant Delights however says the plant gets up to 6 feet high. A rather big difference imo.

o

I was hoping a regular reader of GW might have a very established 'Sun King' who could comment on its true size.

o

It is awesome. I will post a photo tomorrow. It looks great with woodland phlox. The color contrast of the blooms of phlox and Sun King's foliage is awesome.

o

By coincidence I was in a nursery this morning and they had an outstanding group of potted "Sun Kings" for sale in gallon containers. I don't need another but I couldn't pass up such a specimen.

o

a2zmom wrote: Plant Delights however says the plant gets up to 6 feet high.

I would imagine that the final size for this herbaceous shrub/plant is greatly dependent on the hardiness zone in which it is grown. For example echinaceamaniac's zone 7 allows for a (much) longer growing season than would be the case in my z5.

o

UPDATE

I planted 3 of these ASK last season and all seemed to thrive. I am wondering/hoping if this plant is a late riser in the spring as I see no sign of it yet.

o

It probably is a late riser. I just bought three in pots from last season. they are alive, but just a half inch nub is barely visible on the soil surface.
idabean

o

I just got back from Hornbaker Gardens and not all of theirs had come up yet. Those that had only had a tiny nub showing. Read an article from confessions of a plant geek where he speaks of Sun King. He was rather unsure if it would be hardy below zone 5.
Anyway picked one up. Hope it does well.

o

Thanks 'patty' for the follow-up. Today I was impatient and I moved all the fall leaves and mulch away from one of my ASK and then I proceeded to gently scratch the dirt and lo and behold I did detect the most tiny of growth "nubs". So good to see and feel. And given that this past winter was quite severe...a good sign re its hardiness.

o

UPDATE

I planted 3 A.S.K. last summer and all three have come back strong after that trying winter. The picture below is representative of all 3 at this point in the spring. I am interested to see how large this plant can get in a zone 5 climate.

o

Can anyone provide info on propagating ASK, please? I'm interested in created more stock from my single and beloved 3-year old ASK specimen, either by division, cuttings or seed harvested from parent. Thanks!

o

If the Aralia creates berries, it will probably seed all over. I have Aralia Racemosa and get babies in quite a few places. It's important to move the babies right away if they grow where you do not want them. With Aralia, make sure you put it where you want it. They have tap roots and I have yet been able to MOVE an aralia by shoveling it out...they always come back. Last year, someone accidentally "killed" my Aralia with Roundup. It looked dead by fall, but it is up and in full swing, very large again already. A gorgeous plant, just make sure you put it where you want it.

o

I had corresponded with the American plant man who introduced it to NAmerica from Japan.

He stated that it does not spread by runners or rhizomes and he has never had any seedlings for this particular Aralia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here