Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bokonon

Mystery flowers - what are these?

bokonon
10 years ago

OK, so these were planted against our house by the original owners years ago. I suspect they are hollyhocks...but obviously, I am pretty clueless. Can someone identify these Please?

Thanks, Rick.

Comments (11)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

They're Gladiolus.

Kevin

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Yes, glads, or as my mom used to call them: funeral flowers. She always refused to grow them!

• bokonon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Kinda weird that out of all the various perennials I've seen in my life, these were unknown to me. Always heard of gladioli of course, but just never knew that's what these were.

Interesting that they've been growing at least 15 years against the side of my house in central Ohio -- because I've now gotten the impression from some searching that most people in this part of the country dig them up for the winter...and we've definitely had some sub-zero spells here over the last 15 years.

Guess these are just tough.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I haven't grown these in years, but one year I did and forgot to dig them or just didn't dig them. The next spring, they were back. Needless to say, living in MN, I was surprised as heck.

Kevin

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I grew these for the first time last year, since my perennials needed some time to fill in. I dug them up, as recommended, and did not replant them. Despite that, I have little sprouts from what are obviously bulblets that grew off the sides of the more mature bulbs. No blooms this year, of course, but I'll be interested to see what happens next year.

Martha

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Some plants that are out of their zone grown next to a foundation that has a basement behind it often will survive much lower temps than they would if you move them away from the house. If you have snow cover that can help, especially if the snow falls before the ground is frozen. One year I had broccoli still alive the next year after the three feet of snow that fell before Christmas finally melted in the spring. The grass was all green, it was really weird. I don't think the ground froze at all that year.

• cbusgirl
    10 years ago

I live in Columbus and these came with my house as well. We've lived here 7 years and they come back every year. I've definitely never dug them up for the winter, I didn't know what they were until a couple years ago. :)

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Another zone 5-er with over wintering glads. I just cut some and made a bouquet to enjoy inside. Mine are also pink although I have some light purple overwinter as well. They are in the middle of the yard, not protected against the house at all.

Most if them I still dig and store in the basement over the winter. I'd like to decide on a permanent spot for them though and stop digging.

• linlily
    10 years ago

Here's a zone 6er with Glads that have over wintered for the 7 years we've lived here and they were here when we moved in. Mine are also white with pink edges.

Linda

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    10 years ago

Too funny, MulchMama. My mom called them funeral flowers too! I can't bring myself to grow them because of that memory.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Jerseygirl -- too too funny! GMTA, I guess. When we moved to this house in 2007, the original owners had "landscaped" the foundation in an 18" strip (argh!) with gladioli. I had just gotten my landscape design cert back in Chicago and was like WHAT??? That's a foundation planting? Glads??? Oh yeah, there was also a dwarf Alberta spruce that had been eaten by spider mites.

I yanked them all before we prepped large foundation beds (15 feet out) and every year a few come back. I've pulled them, I've sprayed them with glyphosate, they still come back to haunt me.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County