Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What on earth is this plant? Thought it was Acanthus

Posted by marcolo 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 9:15

Zone 6 Boston.

I thought this was an Acanthus spinosus. We planted it last year, and moved it this spring. Transplant hit pretty hard but it bounced back mightily.

I've had my suspicions that it wasn't an acanthus, and now that it's just starting to flower, it looks like some kind of thistle.

What is it?

If it is not an acanthus, should I pull it? Is it a weed?

Also, if I do pull it, what should I plant instead? If the acanthus didn't overwinter I don't want another one. But I would like the same bloom time and shape.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What on earth is this plant? Thought it was Acanthus

It is some species of thistle -- perhaps bull thistle (cirsium vulgare), usually considered a weed.

o

That is one fine looking thistle...get rid of it SAP or it will take over your yard. (Ps... wear good heavy gloves!)

o

LOL. You wouldn't believe the TLC this weed has received! At least give me credit--there is a little similarity in the leaf shape to a. spinosus!

o

Well, I must admit it does look VERY lush and healthy.

Kevin

o

That is one wonderfully cared for Thistle!!! I sometimes think plants can deliberatly masquerade as other plants to fool us. I have nurtured many a weed in my lifetime and probably will many more times! Shovel prune and move on!
Joann

o

probably came from a finch thistle feeder

are you the culprit.. or a neighbor ...

ken

o

Ken - 'thistle' in bird seed is not thistle! It's Guizotia abyssinica - see link below. When DH wanted to set up a finch feeder with 'thistle' seed, I checked it out... including doing a germination test on the seed! So the OP's thistle did not come from a bird feeder - but might have come via a bird passing overhead :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: birdseed 'thistle'

o

Are there any cultivars of thistle that you would actually want? Or are sold in garden centers? Is there any possibility this is anything other than a weed?

I haven't gotten around to its execution yet, but before the guillotine falls, I just wanted to make absolutely sure. There's a person of Scottish ancestry in the house, and I wouldn't put it past myself to buy a thistle in honor. Watching me in a garden center is worse than seeing a drunk with a key to the bar.

o

There are a few thistles that are considered garden worthy, but most are invasive weeds. The worst of the lot is probably Canadian thistle. You can actually be fined for growing that in New Jesey.

The bull thistle that you have is one of the few weeds that I always use round-up on as soon as I spot it. Much easier and safer than trying to pull it.

o

Milk thistle and Scotch Thistle are awesome plants.. though you need heavy gloves to handle!

o

who knew..

back in the day ... i bought from the local mill.. i wonder if mine is real thistle ...

go figure.. learn something new every day ...

sooooo.. where the heck do all these thistle come from.. lol ... and shouldnt it be thith-el????

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here