Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

I am impressed with Tuff Stuff

In my zone "TS" has come into bloom sooner than any of my several other hydrangeas. And with the most recent very demanding winter all these blooms have happened quickly on new wood. I have it in full sun and this serrata is advertised as a rebloomer which is small in stature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuff Stuff Mountain Hydrangea

Comments (35)

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    9 years ago

I've got Tiny Tuff Stuff - planted last year. It's blooming now. The plant is supposed to get 18-24" tall but mine is less than 12" at this point and lost in the midst of peonies and other perennials! I need to move it next spring. I didn't realize there was a big version too. Gotta get that one.... :-)

....edited to show the Tiny version - you need this little buddy for your big guy, Rouge :-)
    {{gwi:247400}}

This post was edited by woodyoak on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 12:02

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's crazy 'woody'. I thought mine was small...I didn't realize there was a miniature version!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Who chooses these names? I thought the thread was going to be about a cleaning product.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Ooh, rouge, very pretty! I've got a burgeoning hydrangea addiction that I'm trying to keep in check, but I might have to get this one.

Woody, that has got to be the tiniest hydrangea I've ever seen!

Dee

Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE

Here it is as of today. Lots of blooms and the perfect size thus far.

9 years ago

Rouge - a local nursery is looking to bring that in for me, and another Tiny Tuff Stuff too if they can find a source for them. My Tiny one is now that dark pink too - love it! I've got a 'hole' saved for the big one.... Thank you for showing us this one.

• luckyladyslipper
    9 years ago

I wish we had a 'Like' button here. I would click it both for rouge's hydrangea and for floral's comment!

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    9 years ago

Ooooooooh! I definitely have to put this one on my list! Gorgeous!

Dee

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    9 years ago

Yet another plant added to my need to get next year. At this rate, I'd better start ripping out more lawn now.

Original Author
    8 years ago

UPDATE:

Another brutal winder and this same TS is just fine. It is 3 feet across and lots of blooms are beginning to happen. This one is in full sun. (I planted another TS last season in a much shadier location. It is doing well but as expected it is behind in its flowering).

• ked1985
    8 years ago

Your post actually inspired me to pick up Tiny Tuff Stuff earlier in the season. Now I am wanting the larger variety! My Tiny is still, well, tiny. I saw the regular one in the nursery a few weeks ago and was super tempted. I went back for it but someone snatched it up... maybe a good thing considering my lack of space, hah.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    8 years ago

Thank you, rouge21! Next year, my 4 ES are going into compost. Now I know what to look for!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Next year, my 4 ES are going into compost

You have so much to look forward to gg! Think of all that space you will be able to free up.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    8 years ago

I planted one a little over a week or so ago! Love it! My flowers are more purple/mauve. I'll have to take a pic tomorrow and post it. This one does look like a real winner!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
  • sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

That's nice you gave us an update on how it's been overwintering for you. It sure looks happy in that spot. It's very cute and a nice size. Now I want one, too!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked sandyslopes z5 n. UT
  • magpiepix 5b/6a
    8 years ago

I ordered two from an online nursery this spring, and planted them just as they leafed out. They're already bushy, balanced, and blooming. GREAT plant. Very impressed.

Original Author
    8 years ago

A Tuff Stuff and a Bobo (shadier conditions):

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    8 years ago

Beautiful Rouge. Your pics always make me wish I had more shade.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    8 years ago

rouge21, where did you get your Tuff Stuff? I've checked in many nurseries in GTA: Humber, Bradford Greenhouses, Terra - plenty of hydrangeas, but no Tuff Stuff, they don't even know what this is.... weird?

Original Author
    8 years ago

The two I have I got from Lost Horizons in Acton. But also give John's Gardens in Uxbridge a call as well as Plant World in Etobicoke or Glen Echo is Caledon.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    8 years ago

Rouge, is that a current picture? My Tuff Stuff petered out long ago. But I noticed all new growth and some buds further back in the stems from the original flowers, so yesterday I snipped all the old flowers off. Curious to see if I get a second bloom this year.

Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

T2d, the most recent pic I posted above is current. This "shady one" is further behind in its flowering than our "sunny one".

Let us know if you get any more flowers.

• bella rosa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I realize that this is an old post, but I just read about Tuff Stuff in one of my garden books. I'm definitely interested in adding her to my garden. So pretty.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

UPDATE:

I see that PW has a (new) "Tuff Stuff" called RED.

Tuff Stuff RED

Original Author
    7 years ago

Tuff Stuff 2016:

One of our two TS. This one gets less sun
    and in this very dry sunny summer it is doing better than the full sun one. (I
    have had to give supplemental water to both) The color is nice but I am hoping
    to see more blooms in total at any given time:

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    7 years ago

Mine is showing no signs of flowers this year? I'm still hoping!

Original Author
    5 years ago

hl_60 I am disappointed thus far as both of our well established TS show very few developing blossoms. (I know this past winter and April were quite challenging weather and so all flowers would be developing on new wood but I am sure this has been the case in the past).

• hl_60
    5 years ago

Rogue, thank you for the picture! I am sorry your TS aren't performing as well as years past. The same thing happened to my 10+ yr old azalea...late bloomer and few blooms. The weather has been very odd. Even this June has been hot but unusually rainy. I have a front yard spot that's the perfect size for 3 TS and I am in need of blooms there since the rest of the bed is hostas. Since its a front and center bed, I want a strong bloom performer. :(

Original Author
    5 years ago

UPDATE (2.5 months since my last post):

We have two very established TS and one had no blooms this season and the other had maybe 2 or three but still took up lots of space (4 feet wide):

Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It looks like another year of few flowers on this very established and otherwise healthy Tuff Stuff. :(.

I used to be so "up" on this variety. I guess it just shows you that a longer term review is worthwhile.

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yes thanks for the review rouge, and sorry they have been such a disappointment for you.

I saw some at the farmers market that were just beautiful...so full of blooms they almost looked fake. I sure was tempted then remembered your post....

They must have to have just the right conditions!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked GardenHo_MI_Z5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And I have no idea what the "problem" is.

It looks very healthy and it bloomed just fine one year when the previous winter was challenging but so few blooms the past two seasons :(.

• zekeafroid (Z7 - South Jersey)
    4 years ago

I planted Tuff Stuff last fall and was super excited to see it in bloom this year, but not a single flower or bud, just a bunch of foliage. I'm hoping maybe it just doesn't bloom in the first year and I just need to wait, but it looks like it's a total dud...

4 years ago

The Tuff Stuff I planted a year or two ago is also doing poorly in the flowering department - not worth taking a picture of the few florets that have some colour! But my Tiny Tuff Stuff planted 5 or 6 years ago that has not done anything much since, is finally making a show! Mind you, it's so small that a show doesn't amount to much :-) Maybe the big Tuff Stuff needs a few years too to mature enough to flower decently....?

Pictures of Tiny Tuff Stuff from yesterday afternoon:

From just inside the front arbour, showing Tiny Tuff Stuff's companions:

The poor little thing tends to get swallowed by its more vigorous neighbours!

Hopefully the full-sized Tuff Stuff will eventually perform as expected!