Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Lots of lavender

While driving on a nearby residential street one could not help do a double take of the extended splash of blue on this family's front lawn. I stopped and spoke with the owner. The small ones are English lavender of some variety and there were some larger ones just now coming into bloom. I was shocked to know that all the small ones had been planted just last spring 2013 and all had survived this past incredibly cold winter. And given that they are next to a busy thoroughfare and sidewalk which are both heavily salted each winter makes their survival even more impressive.

Comments (11)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Nice photo, Rouge. Impressive when in bloom. I just wonder how it looks after they bloom. What is the line of plants in a straight line without blooms?

Reminds me of this National Geographic photo I use as a desktop background sometimes.

I would love to have that much lavender to use for arrangements and sachets. Attracts beneficial insects too I imagine.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 12:08

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    9 years ago

I'll admit, they do look nice in a large planting when in full bloom. It's like a lavender ocean...

I've never been a huge fan of lavender though, not even the scent. Plus I've probably handled hundreds upon hundreds at work, so I have seen enough, lol.

Seeing a planting like that makes me wonder if the owner will keep it going over the years. Lav plants only tend to live [and look good] for 3-5 years here.

-PM2, was that pic of Provence France? I read something interesting about their lavender fields once...that they truck bees in specifically to make their famous lavender honey :-) Looks like 'Wintergem' boxwood they have planted in a row by the drive...
    CMK

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is the line of plants in a straight line without blooms?

I think they may be....boxwood?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

CMK, the photo was only labeled, 'lavender field'. I downloaded it from the National Geographic website a long time ago. I wouldn't recognize Provence France I guess. I was reminded of California, though, with those hills in the background.

I've never bought flavored honeys. I wonder if they really taste that much different from your average honey?

I was thinking boxwood, but wondered if they could put a boxwood there that would stay small enough not to shade out the lavender. With the boxwood there, they can have that for something permanent and replace the lavender when it's finished. They might be ready for something else by then.

Surprising that you don't enjoy the fragrance of lavender! Well, I don't know why I should think everyone likes it. lol

Rouge, I would be interested in how it looks in the next couple of years as it matures.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking boxwood, but wondered if they could put a boxwood there that would stay small enough not to shade out the lavender.

PM2, I can tell you that the aspect for this lavender planting is very much direct overhead full sun and so I could never foresee there being shade from this row of boxwood (and in any event boxwood are easily pruned).

• babera
    9 years ago

Nice photo. . . I find it odd that there is hosta growing with lavender. (I think I see hosta in the back corner of the photo)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    9 years ago

Rouge, I'm sure you are right about the sun being directly overhead. I did want to say that I really like this planting of masses of lavender and boxwood is a favorite of mine too. You can see by the photo I posted how much I like lavender.

In my garden, I am always thinking low maintenance and four season so I wouldn't decide to plant this for these reasons. One -- Lavender to me is not that long blooming, and then there's nothing else in the bed. I imagine with different varieties you could stretch that some. Two -- lavender does not look very good in early spring or in the fall. Three -- lavender often needs replacing in my experience. Four -- I had a boxwood hedge that I found a lot of work to keep trimmed and I have a Maple nearby that threw tons of seedlings around the base of the shrubs that were a real pain to keep cleared out. We took out the hedge and I haven't missed it one day. I do grow single boxwoods that I don't mind pruning most of the time. And I chose boxwood that grow slowly and if I don't get around to pruning one year, won't look horrible and get away from me. That's just been my experience.

Maybe this planting will work out exceptionally well for this person. If I lived nearby, I'd be very interested to see how it progresses through the season and over time. I just wanted to explain if my response might have seemed lukewarm.

Original Author
    9 years ago

If I lived nearby, I'd be very interested to see how it progresses through the season and over time.

Me to pm2. This home isnt far from me and if I remember I will drive by a few times this summer to see whats what.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I love lavender! Its one of the easiest perennials for me. Thrives in hot, dry soils that aren't overly fertile, smells great and you can dry it too. And, nothing seems to eat it. Unlike my daylilies, zinnias and scabiosa which are planted near it, and have been munched on by wildlife and/or insects, no one seems to want to eat my lavender.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 years ago

Lovely planting!

I quite enjoy the lavender plants I have. Attractive when in bloom and nice grayish foliage when not in bloom.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

I like it too.The bed has a great rhythm to it in the shape of the bed, the repetition of plants, and the nice mulch and accent rocks. It all works for me. And I think it's the classiest use of that scalloped concrete edging I've even seen! :)