Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower Identification

Posted by christy51274 7A - MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 9:51

Hopefully, I'm posting this under the appropriate topic. My brother asked me to try to identify this flower. Don't have much experience gardening, so am hoping someone could identify it for me. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower Identification

Good Morning, these pretty flowers are called Naked Ladies or surprise lilies. They smell so good!

o

Amaryllis belladonna (Naked Ladies)

o

Thank you both for responding so quickly! :D

My brother is now living in my grandparents' home (they've passed away) and she planted these years ago. I'm sure they could look better, but he doesn't have much of a green thumb.

He'll be delighted to know so that he can better take care of them in the future.

Have a great day!

o

They don't need much 'care' as such. Certainly no fertiliser and not much water. They like a good summer baking and they'll flower in late summer autumn. The leaves appear later.

o

They don't need much 'care' as such. Certainly no fertiliser and not much water. They like a good summer baking and they'll flower in late summer autumn. The leaves appear later.

o

I am not sure if it's the same plant as suggested above with a different name, but I've grown a plant that looks like this called Lycoris squamigera, common name naked ladies. They put up leaves in the spring, the leaves die back, and in late July or early August they send up flowers. I like them a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here