Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzmom516

Let's Talk Tricyrtis (Toad Lily)!!

I started to research this genus in the hopes of putting a few into my new garden area where overgrown junipers once were. This area gets northern, eastern and some southern exposure due to the shape of this bed (slightly L shaped with a curve along the L's bottom)

Anyway, I want the Trycyrtis hirta varieties over the other genuses because the hirtas are clumping vs. stoloniferous. Those who have just the hirta types, can you tell me your favorites and why? Please include rate of growth (include height) and colors of the flowers.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    9 years ago

Here's a link to a previous discussion of this plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toads

• thrills
    9 years ago

I have the Miyazaki hybrids with muted shades of purple flowers. These do bloom quite late for me in zone 5 and often get hit by frost shortly after they start to flower. I actually enjoy these most in the early spring as they are just emerging along with ferns and hosta.

They get 1 1/2 to 2 ft tall and slowly form nice clumps. They divide easily and I have moved them to a couple of different areas in my yard. I think they are susceptible to dry conditions though and they are flourishing with all the rain we have had this year. I recently moved some to a slow draining area, so it will be interesting to see how they do in that area. This year something has started nibbling the top growth. I do have plenty of deer and rabbits and recently also saw a woodchuck in the yard.

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I have a couple clumps of the species growing in both full and part shade. The clump in part shade is the most vigorous and has grown into quite a robust size. It's up about 20" so far this year but will get at least twice that size before blooming sometime in September or October.

I prize it for its late bloom as much as for the unique flower form plus each stem produces multiple flowers. The flowers are small, lily in form, white and speckled with bright purple dots. The bees are on them constantly as soon as the buds open.

I haven't noticed anything bothering them. I do sprinkle crushed eggshells around them when they emerge each spring to discourage slugs/snails.

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up purchasing Tricyrtis hirta 'Tojen' at a local nursery. Looking forward to seeing the blooms in a month or so.

• felisar (z5)
    9 years ago

I have both 'Tojen' and 'Gilt Edge'. They are in part shade and get no hot afternoon sun. Soil is good and holds moisture well but is well drained. Tojen has been in the ground for about 4 growing seasons and has formed a substantial clump about 2 feet across and 2 feet high. Gildt Edge I just planted this year so it is much smaller. I love the foliage on these plants and the unique flowers. The fact that tricyrtis blooms in August is also a big plus since this is a slow time in the garden. I have them planted next to a path since the blooms are small (around 1" across) and need to be observed up close.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz