Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Calling Gardengal 48

...or anyone else who might know the variety name of this Phlox paniculata, ht. 33". The gal that gave me a start picked it up at the Seattle Garden Show a couple of years back. The color might be a smidge off but it's pretty darn close. It's the bluest one I have ever seen.
Annette

Comments (10)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

WOW! I don't know but I sure would like to!! What a beauty. :o)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In looking at pictures on the web it looks a lot like 'Blue Paradise' but pictures can be deceiving. This picture was taken at 6:30 this morning, in the early morning light it really is close to the color in the above picture.
    Annette

• moliep
    9 years ago

Annette, I have Blue Paradise and mine does look blue very, very early morning. But once it becomes light, the blossoms show more purple. The photo, below, was taken in early morning shade. You can see the purple on the upper blossoms and the blue tones underneath.

{{gwi:248141}}

I'm not quite sure.... was your photo taken in someone else's yard or in yours?

Molie

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Molie, it was taken in my garden, I'm not usually up this early (5 a.m.) but we're in a bit of a heat wave right now so I like to get everything watered as early in the morning as I can. This phlox was such an eye catching color I had to run in and get the camera :).
    I bet you're right about the color looking a little different once the sun hits it. I should take another picture and compare. All in all I think this one is a real winner.
    Annette

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Sorry, Annette - I'm no help at all :-)) I won't say it very loudly but I don't care for phlox and never grow it. Only one's I could call out for sure are 'David and 'Nora Leigh'.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Only had two "blue" garden phlox, 'Blue Boy' and 'Blue Paradise'.

'Blue Boy' had for over 7 years. Not very vigorous in it's location. Is purplish blue.

'Blue Paradise' only lasted a year, so no experience.

(1) There's the business of 'Blue Paradise' being reported as more blue at colder times in the day (viz. morning and evening).

(2) Looking at the images for 'Blue Paradise' at All Things Plants and Dave's Garden, there's a big range in colour. I'd guess that not taking white balance into consideration, when the photographs were taken, may also be involved.

'Blue Boy' was introduced in 1949, 'Blue Paradise' in 1990.
    Perhaps 'Blue Paradise' is more likely to have been purchased recently than 'Blue Boy'.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, I'm thinking it probably is 'Blue Paradise' I'll take another pic at noon and if I remember another this evening that is if I think of it, I get sidetracked really easy LOL.
    The first time I saw this particular phlox it was in a parlor show at our local Hort. Society. I walked through the door and even under artificial light the color stopped me dead in my tracks, I looked up who entered it and did some serious begging :).
    Annette

Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks different doesn't it.

• moliep
    9 years ago

Yep, Annette, that's just about what my Blue Paradise looks like right now... really purple. Still I love it ... for me it's a vigorous plant that grows bigger each year. Blooms earlier than my Davids and along with some pink/red shades of phlox.

Molie

Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one taken at 7:30 P.M.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!