Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beared iris foliage looking good this year

Posted by aachenelf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:39

One of the reasons I don't have many Bearded Iris is because the foliage usually gets so ugly be midsummer. The way it looks this year, I'm thinking maybe I should do some re-evaluation of that stand.

How does yours look? Maybe the cooler summer with lots of rain is making a difference for me?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beared iris foliage looking good this year

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:41

I grow the dwarf bearded iris and the variegated bearded - the foliage tends to stay healthy on the variegated and really brightens up areas. Nice thing about the dwarf varieties is they are easy to "hide" behind other foliage - if placed right, will be able to show off the blooms in the spring, then when nearby foliage fills in, only the tops of the swords will be visible, which lends a nice visual effect to mounded foliage, and if the foliage does get a bit ratty, it isn't very noticeable.

I don't mind a clump here or there of the tall bearded iris, but what looks terrible IMO is a large swath of them - usually looks cr*ppy after blooming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here