Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
usmcgrunt_gw

Geranium Pratense "Orion" Pruning

usmcgrunt
10 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to prune my Geranium Pratense?

I planted it last year and tried to train it this year to fall over the front of my flower bed. This year is bloomed great and now most the flowers have fell off. The new blooms are starting to shoot out of the back again and I assume will need to be retrained to fall over the front.

My question is, how do I prune the old ones? It looks like there are still buds on the ends and don't want to kill the plant. I know nothing about pruning, but figured I should be cutting these back. Can someone explain please? Thank you!

Comments (2)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Is your plant Geranium pratense or the hybrid 'Orion'? 'Orion' is a seedling of 'Brookside' which is 50% G. pratense. So 'Orion' has some G. pratense blood, but shouldn't be called by the species name. Just FYI. Don't mean to be nitpicky, LOL!

In any case, regardless of what your geranium is, you can feel to free to whack it down at any time without fear of harming your plants. You can selectively prune out the old growths or you can just take shears and cut off all stems close to the ground. Within a few weeks, your plants will have regrown into nice, compact clumps of foliage and might produce a few flowers stems here and here through autumn.

• usmcgrunt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ispahan, thank you very much for the response. I am not really sure what it is then...haha. The tag said Geranium Pratense with the quotations "Orion."

That is exactly what I wanted to know. I wanted to make sure before I went hacking away. Thank you again very much for the information.