Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shasta Daisies toppled over

Posted by nanaclaire 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 10:56

We had a thunderstorm and the next day my shasta daises were topped over. I tied them together as best I could. I think I need to get some kind of cage next Spring.

I was wondering if I could cut them down to about 24"?? They're pretty tall. I'm afraid they won't bloom if I do that. Posting two pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shasta Daisies toppled over

Here's the 2nd picture that shows where I tied them up.

o

Oh, and yes, I know I have to deadhead them. :)

o

i would track down a few stems ... and see where i would find dormant .. tiny.. buds where a leaf attaches to the stem ... and i would cut above the second one ...

which might mean.. i would cut them down to around 6 to 8 inches ...

if you do it your way.. at 24.. they will grow 6 more inches.. and flop again.. in the next storm ...

if you fert'd them this year.. consider that you caused excessive height.. and just dont fert them next year... or ever again ... i looks like you have some nice soil there... so you would not need to fert them ...

since you have a few there [i think]... try one your way... and one my way.. and learn by experience ... it would be cool if you did that.. and reported back in 4 or 6 weeks ...

another way to cut backs its vigor.. would be to split the plant.. in fall ... or very early next spring ....

ken

o

Also keep in mind when you plant something along the side of a house it's naturally going to lean forward towards the most intense light. If something is kind of prone to flopping, it will probably flop more and in this case - flop forwards as this plant is doing.

I recently saw a garden bed smack in the middle of someones front yard - full sun all day long and full sun from every direction. I was amazed at how beautiful and how beautifully upright all the shasta daisies were despite all the rain we had earlier. They were completely upright. Not a hint of flopping anywhere.

Kevin

o

When mine flop (and they always do) I just cut them all back to about a foot. Usually they re-bloom.

o

Here's what I do with mine, get an appropriate length of rebar and a length of wire suitable to encircle your clump of daisies, twist the middle of the wire around the rebar at the right height. Now put a hook in each end of the wire, gather up the daisies and bend the wire around the clump and hook the ends together. You'll never see the wire. I do this with a lot of my perennial that flop. In fact I've started staking them this way before they flop. With my tall Michaelmas daisies I stake and wire when quite low only the loops around the rebar are loose held in place with a clothespin, this way I can slip the wire up as they grow, no flopping. A cheap and easy fix ;)

Annette.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here