Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shasta Daisy Wilting Question

Posted by gardengal11 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 11:00

Hi,

Earlier this summer I bought a potted Shasta Daisy. It was beautiful when I bought it. Now, the plant (leaves and stems) looks healthy, but the flowers bloom and wilt extremely quickly (I don't really even have time to see a nice crisp flower. Maybe once in a while, but again it wilts quickly). Anyways, this plants gets sun about 4 hours a day because of trees and the way my house sits. Does anyone have an idea to why my plant is doing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shasta Daisy Wilting Question

tip it out of the pot.. and find out if it is severely root bound

and let us know ... or better.. give us a pic of that

it has to be a water issue .. so you are either not watering enough .. or the roots are having problems ...

tell us about how you water it .. how big it is in relation to the pot .. and how the roots look

ken

ps: the other option is that it simply hates you ... so get rid of it..

o
RE: Shasta Daisy Wilting Question

Totally agree with Ken. Usually store-bought plants are in dire need of repotting when you buy them. If all you've done is look at yours, it's probably pretty bad-off.

The soil may also have become so dry that it's hydrophobic. Try setting the pot in a saucer of water for a few hours. If all of the water disappears, keep adding more until it stops disappearing. Repotting can help fix this, too. Stay away from peat as potting soil.

The expression "fresh as a daisy" isn't meaningless. Individual daisy flowers don't last long - a day or two. Cutting off dead flowers is a daily task if you want these plants to look good. Next year, you might prefer the daisies in the ground and something more tidy in your pot(s).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here