Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2zmom_gw

Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'?

a2zmom_Z6_NJ
10 years ago

Anybody grow this? (Latin: Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler', just to be accurate)

How's it perform?

I was thinking of planting it on a trellis that already has a clematis. Should I wait unti the clematis is larger? It's only about 2 feet tall right now, as it's fairly newly planted. Or is planting it with a clematis a bad idea?

Comment (1)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I have both Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler' and a variety of clematis. I don't think I would put them on the same trellis since the honeysuckle is more woody and the stems twine around the support, while the clematis clings with its leaf petioles and has softer stems. I'd be worried that the woodier honeysuckle would crush the stems of the clematis. However, since I haven't tried it, I don't know that it would be a problem. They would most probably have different pruning needs as well. I'd get a second clematis that is the same pruning type and about the same size for the clematis trellis.

My MW is only in its second season, but I've seen an older one and it's quite attractive, quite thick and full with lots of blooms and foliage that I find attractive, so I've put mine by itself on an iron tuteur.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County