Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Phlox?

Posted by cynandjon Z 5/6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 12:13

is it ok to move my phlox now that its finished blooming? Its way to tall in the spot its in.when is the best time to move it?
tall white phlox

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Phlox?

Yes, you could move it now, but it probably would sulk a bit. If you can provide water for it to help re-establish it, go ahead and move it and water it in well. Spring is the best time to move it, and fall would also work, as phlox are pretty tough plants.

o

in my zone 5 ... i would ONLY move things.. IN JULY/AUGUST ....
if i didnt care if they died ...

if you want to insure survival .. it would be best to wait until mid sept or so ...

if its done blooming.. cut it half way down.. so you can enjoy the view beyond.. and move it in early fall ..

or just move it ... all depends how many days over 100 you have in august.. and how well you can tend it ..

good luck

ken

o

Ok thanks for the input. I think I will wait until september but I will cut it back
the weather here has been so low, it feels like september. Its only been in the low 70's and rainy.
Thanks.

o

I agree with Ken.

If you cut off the spent blooms before they go to seed, it will probably bloom again, Mine blooms at least twice if deadheaded.

Unless I had something that I had to move into that spot this year, I'd wait and move the phlox in the early spring.

o

Do you realize you can prune them in June they will be shorter? Then they may be perfect for that spot.

mao

o

Early spring or fall would be a far better time, especially if you would like to divide it while you're at it.

I disagree that all plants are guaranteed to die if they are moved in July/August, at least in the colder zones. I wouldn't move a delicate plant, but rugged perennials such as Daylilies will be fine. And the optimal time to move Irises is in August.

They will suffer greater transplant stress if moved in the summer and to minimize that I would choose a cloudy or drizzly day, and be diligent about watering.

o

Mao didnt realize you can cut them back in June, I do that with my mums. Good idea thanks
I Cut them back after blooming and they do look like they might bloom again.
Terrene
Yeah I have moved many plants in July with no problem. As you say some plants are tough.
This has been a very cool summer.
Bean YES I have day lilies I want to switch places, I dont know what I was thinking. I guess I was thinking the garden can be viewed from the back also but now I'm not liking how it looks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here