Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Stop teasing me monarada

Maybe it is just me but my monarda (dwarf) seems to go from bloom to yuck in such a short time. I love the smell of bergamot but the flower show seems to last way too short...maybe a week?....but again maybe that is just me and my plant

Specifically from this (actually it did show better a few days after this):

{{gwi:249866}}

to this

Comments (10)

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

In the second picture the foliage still looks nice. Some of my perennials look so horrid after blooming that I am considering removing in favor of something better. Yesterday I spent a few hours grooming my hemocrollis, scabiosa and Shasta daises. I then tried to think of better replacements. None come to mind. So many perennials look very bad right after bloom. I have always wanted to try Monarda so maybe I will. It would look good after dead heading I think.

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

There are monardas blooming for weeks. These are those with side branches. I recommend Balance.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yeah.. but wasnt that one week.. in the middle of a blistering heatwave???

you cant rule that out for them 'bolting' .... if that is the right term ...

often.. in such circ's.... they will sacrifice the foo foo flower.. to protect the long term health of the plant.. in severe heat/drought ....

there is always next year... to compare ...

ken

• boday
    10 years ago

Welcome to the world of 'Petite Delight'. I can show a carbon copy of your monarda, my monarda

• boday
    10 years ago

Rouge

Proven Winners have two dwarf Monardas, called 'Pardon my Pink' and 'Pardon my Purple'. Both, supposedly bloom for weeks. I've been meaning to try the Purple. I wonder if anyone on here, is growing one of them and could chime in with a report.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

This is my first full season with Monadra 'Raspberry Wine'. I just realized that you can deadhead and it pushes out more buds. Actually, I thought it was done flowering and was disappointed in that, but I just noticed it has all these new buds, that didn't even need me to deadhead to develop, but now I am deadheading the old blooms for appearance. Much happier with that!

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I did an experiment last year and meticulously deadheaded my Raspberry Wine in one area but not others. I expected to get more blooms but didn't. Deadheading made no difference in blooms for me.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

But you did get rebloom, ruth? I was not saying that deadheading would produce more blooms, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I was just saying I was happy to see I got a second round of blooms and that the plant produced them before I could even get to deadhead it. I would still deadhead anyway, just because I would rather look at the new blooms without those that are spent still on the plant. I do only have a small patch of it. I wonder what Terrene does, who has a whole lot more of it than I do.

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Actually, I didn't get rebloom, but that may be because I'm growing in too much shade.

I wasn't really replying to your post about deadheading - sorry if I sounded like I was disagreeing. It just reminded me of my disappointing experiment, so thought I'd share. :-)

• franeli
    10 years ago

I do a random stem cut back of all monardas early June,then cut blooms for bouquets or dead head asap. I have 'blue stocking','jacob kline' and 'purple rooster'.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?