Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

peony gone heat/drought dormant

never in my life .. crimminey ..

what do you think will happen.. will it survive ...

dont know if i will get to giving it substantial water ...

ken

Comments (8)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

There have been a rash of peony alien abductions lately. It's kind of scary.

You didn't say what kind of peony - hybrid? species? I've had species go dormant really early in years of drought. They come back.

If it's a hybrid, it's hard to say. Last year (major drought year) I divided a few in late summer, but didn't really give them much water when I replanted the divisions. Big mistake! I lost some completely and those that did survive only produced a single stem this season. I would recommend watering as much as possible.

Kevin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

plain old 35 year old plants.. that i took pieces of from moms garden.. when i got my first house ...

you know.. the big fluffy standard pink, white and red..

are those species.. or just the old timers

one thing for sure.. they arent UNcommon..

anyone have names for such .. these date back to at least the 60's ... my parents first house...

ken

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    11 years ago

I've never heard of a herbaceous peony going dormant from drought, that is a new one.

I have mostly the old tried-and-true: "Festiva Maxima" (pure white with red flecks in the center) and "Sara Bernhardt" (the fluffy pink one) - tough as nails and never disappoint. I have "Bowl of Beauty", a fancy-schmancy cultivar which is the pink with the yellow center, and it just hasn't wowed me yet - eh....nothing like the old ironhorses, that's for sure!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yep ... i recognize those 2 names.. from prior research ...

and bowl of beauty.. petered out and died at the old house ...

so i wonder what the red one was ..

interesting.. i did guilt myslef into going to water them.. they are not totally dormant.. all the stalks collapsed and cracked .. aka flopped .. they are either in full sun.. or under lilacs.. that have outgrown them in 12 years.. the ones in full sun are still standing.. the ones under lilac.. are being out-competed for water by the lilac.. or the little rain we have had.. since spring.. simply didnt make it to the ground.. under the larger plant ...

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    11 years ago

Some of the more common reds:

KARL ROSENFIELD - crimson
    Kansas - watermelon red
    PAUL M. WILDE - light cardinal red
    Red Charm - deep ruby red (I think this is most common and widely planted of the old reds)

If it's one of those purple reds, you would have to do some more looking. There was one in in the old Jung's catalog simply called 'Jung's Red'. I had it. Didn't like it because it was a purple red.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

I've had this happen later in the summer, they always come back but obviously not as vigorously as if they hadn't died back early. Considering how early in the year it is, I suspect next year's regrowth will be very weak. Watering now, even if it is mainly green stems left, will certainly help them, IMHO, green is green, it all has chlorophyll.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Well ken it sounds like Botrytis paeoniae. They will usually come back next year but in a weakened condition. Good sanitary practice, removing all foliage to the city dump every fall. I would spray the ground now after removing all the dead plant material, with Bordeaux mixture to try and prevent the disease living over to next year. Al

• brandyray
    11 years ago

Calistoga; I had a couple of my peonies look horrible this spring/early summer. Bare stems or partial leaves. I wondered what in the world it was.. plants around them- roses- looked fine. Don't know too much about peony problems. We had Festiva Maxima, a pink, and a red one growing up and never any problems w/ them. Here, it is too hot for many, so I have only ordered those listed as "early". "Primavera" has done well for me so far. Any ideas as to what happened to my peonies? Peonies are one of my favorite flowers. Thanks, Brandy

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH