Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utzybuzzy_gw

plants falling over

utzybuzzy
10 years ago

A lot of my perennials are falling over. I've seen single stem holders, but these plants are larger and need something more sturdy. For example, my milkweeds are falling over. Whats the best way to keep this from happening?

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

tie them together to form a whole

and dont overfertilize ....

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Are they new-ish plants? Tomato cage would work well on milkweed.

10 years ago

Very Zen, Gardenweed. Smiles!

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Make sure the plant is in the right location. Some of mine get really tall because they are in too much shade - doesn't stop them from flowering though.

For shorter perennials like gasplant and sedum, I use inverted tomato cages, just cut the pointy ends off and use them to anchor the cage into the ground.

10 years ago

Yes, that's part of why I asked if they were new plants. If not already a few years old, might just need to be acclimated. Older plants can have too much shade develop around them.

Inverted, that's brilliant!

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

purpleinopp - Thanks!!! So happy to be of ZEN help! It's beyond my comprehension why any rational gardener would think or believe they need to interfere with the natural order. Call me naïve but I'm guessing Ma Nature has been doing quite a nice job of decorating the planet for the past few million years without our help.

10 years ago

That's the approach I try to take, helping newly-installed plants as little as possible, like children. They need to learn how to make it on their own... and if they can't, they will be replaced with something that does grow well. I don't own any 'cides but I do manually deal with pests like canna leaf rollers that have no redeeming qualities that I can tell. I put the plants out there, then see what nature does with them.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

gardenweed, I love what Ma Nature does. It is SO much better than any cultivated garden I've ever seen. But...on a 1/4 acre lot where Ma Nature was overruled and grass and shrubs and perennials that weren't necessarily meant to grow there, were planted, it's a whole different story. The need to 'manage' plants is exactly because Ma Nature's plan is no longer there and what is, is not as good a design and staking things is just trying to correct the mistakes.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    10 years ago

You can also keep you eye out after any election for the sturdy wire frames that are used in all the yard signs. The work nice since you can bend them any way you need to hold fairly large plants up... Or you can use a series of them to wall off plants from leaning over a path.

• utzybuzzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! Yes, they are new pants and all natives. It's just that in one area they got so big and flopped over and some branches died. Also you really can't enjoy them because either they're laying on the ground or laying on top of each other so much you can't distinguish one plant from another. Others flopped over onto plants that need sun and now they're dying. Matter of fact while I was trying to prop them up I got stung by a Saddleback caterpillar. Won't go near them now!

10 years ago

Are you having a ton of rain there? Floppy plants are an epidemic in this summer of way too much rain in a lot of places. Sorry about your sting!

Those election signs are another great idea!

• terrene
    10 years ago

Overly rich soil, lots of rain, and excess nitrogen fertilizer can produce floppy plants. Also, they can flop if they aren't getting enough sun, and they reach sideways towards the sun.

I use the green-coated wire stakes that are straight with a little loop on the top for individual stalks. I've got 4 sizes, ranging from about 1 foot up to 4 feet. I also use peony rings and encircle the occasional floppy plants.

Another tip is to trim some of your perennials by half or so in June, and they will grow shorter and bushier, and less likely to flop.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Oh another thought- Utzy if your plants are all new nursery plants, they will need some time to settle in to your garden. Their growth pattern in a container will not be the same as when they're established themselves in your garden soil. Plus the nursery may have been over-fertlizing them. Next year they will no doubt have a better appearance!

Re: milkweed, well I manage mine closely! Ma nature knows what she's doing, but her beautiful order has been terribly disrupted by mankind, so the Monarchs need all the help they can get. I patrol them milkweed plants regularly for insects, many of which are predators of the Monarch larvae, or degrade the quality of the foliage.

I also regularly pinch and sometimes cut back the Common milkweed by half or so, because this prompts them to send up tender fresh new shoots, which are much more palatable for small Monarch caterpillars (they have a hard time chewing through the tough big leaves).

Now I just need some Monarch mamas to come through!

• florauk
    10 years ago

Pea sticks look more natural than wire, plastic, velcro etc and are hidden as the plants grow. They need to be put in before the plants get too tall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Supporting perennials

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County