Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Peppermint Twist Phlox

It is now coming into its own in our garden. This phlox flowers for a very long time and reblooms easily with a chop of the spent flowers. It can benefit from a "Chelsea Chop" in the late spring as if can easily attain a height of 3 feet.

Here the flowers are up close:

{{gwi:250098}}

and now from a bit of a distance.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 12:46

Comments (10)

• giraffe
    10 years ago

Soooo pretty, almost festive looking.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Lovely combination, Rouge.

Also noting no branch reversions back to parent 'Candy Floss'. Eventually get them on all my 'Peppermint Twist'.

Below: One plant, In front of a potted geranium on the deck, yesterday.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Very pretty combos! That reminds me of the flowers on the variegated phlox paniculata. I had one but it reverted to all green one year.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Rouge, I like the combination you put together.
    Didn't know they will revert. Just checked mine and they are reverting. Bummer. The parent still has a pretty color though. I just really liked the pink and white flowers.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks 'thyme'. Actually I experienced almost no reversion in my two large stands of "Peppermint Twist".

But as I mentioned earlier it has the potential to grow much taller than advertised. For example the PT plants shown above are almost 4 feet in height! But the generally stated height is about 20".

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Rouge, my plants were on their way to 4' quite easily, but my woodchucks have read all about perennial pruning, so they do a good job keeping it shorter! LOL!!

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Fortunately no woodchucks in our area.
    Like the height at this time of year.

As said, Rouge, I find cutting the phlox and other perennials down to ground level, by late fall, just about eliminates the appearance of powdery mildew in the following year.

I do see the beginning of powdery mildew on one or two of our 'Peppermint Twist' plants, but only well into fall.

I continually cutback perennials in our mixed perennial beds, throughout the growing season, which also helps aesthetically and in preventing (with some perennials) seeding.

Original Author
    10 years ago

my plants were on their way to 4' quite easily

Except I chose PT phlox in part due to its advertised reduced size i.e. 20"!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I find cutting the phlox and other perennials down to ground level, by late fall, just about eliminates the appearance of powdery mildew in the following year.

'Sunny', I have always left perennial plants as is until the spring...with the understanding that the above ground dead veg. provides winter protection...like a mulch. But at the least I will do as you do for the phlox as an experiment.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Rouge, know you said you had two 'Peppermint Twist'.

See they're planted close together.
    Almost ideal from a controlled experimental point of view, because they likely get the same sun, water, it's the same year, etc..

So you could cut one down and leave the other and see the effect next year (only one variable varied).

Just kidding!
    Don't think the pair, one tall and one short, would look so nice next year.