Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good plant near steet in front of clematis?

Posted by SVTterminator 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:41

I was just going to lay down spot in the dead patch of weeds in front of the clematis plant. Then I thought let me check in with the experts as to what I could plant near the street that will handle full sun, winter salt and high winds.

Any ideas or should I stick to grass?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good plant near steet in front of clematis?

Grass

o

in my neck of z5 .... snow plowing will kill anything there ...

so i would rely on annuals ... if that is.. i felt it was necessary to entertain the mailman ...

where are in in z5.. that snow plowing is not an issue.. nor salt ...

ken

o

I have hens and chicks/houseleeks aka sempervivum in the exact spot at the edge of the curb. They take all of the heat/snow/salt that is given to them and come back reliably every year.

o

Did I make a mistake by putting the clematis there? Researching sempervivum. My goal es to have an unique mailbox area.

o

I've had hosta 'Patriot' growing at the base of my mailbox post the past 5 or 6 years. It doesn't seem to have a problem with road salt. It does get some shade from a nearby oak but it's been my experience that established hostas are nearly bulletproof.

o

I've seen many mailbox gardens with clematis planted like yours. So, it certainly can work for some. I wouldn't consider it a mistake. It will be beautiful once it fills in.

Martha

o

Over the years many different types of perennials have been grown in my mailbox bed near my clematis. All did well and were not affected by road salt, though my suburban street is seldom salted. These include penstemon, mums, gaillardia, geum, heuchera, salvia, sedum, and nepeta. There are probably others that I have forgotten. Last winter the snow removal person scalloped my mum so I moved that this spring and added annuals to its spot. Also due to winter kill there are no gaillardia anywhere in any of my beds this year.

The usual recommendation is to plant a perennial that does not have a deep tap root and that has the same watering needs as clematis which like to be moist. In other clematis areas I have polemonium, geranium, delphinium, and columbine with clematis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here