Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do any lime green heucheras tolerate morning sun?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 12:43

I have 4 Miracle in this spot. Miracle is wonderful...in the spring. By this time of year, most of the leaves are either bleached, half black or brown, and it looks awful. Of course it WAS in the upper 90's and over 100 last week, but they didn't look good even before then. They are 3 years old, and I have seen this happen every year. I don't know what their ancestry is....or whether they would do it in a shadier spot, but I'm guessing they would. I have Citronelle, in shade, and it also has lots of black or dead spots on the leaves.

The yellow green color, and nice neat mounds, were a nice foil for other things, like the Obsidian heuchera I have planted there (which look fantastic, all the time, and did not miss a beat in the heat). But not when they look like this.

I got these varieties to try out: but if you tell me they will fry in morning sun, I'll put them elsewhere. Thanks!

H. Malachite
H. Mint Julep
Heucherella Yellowstone Falls

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do any lime green heucheras tolerate morning sun?

i think of any sun before noon.. as plant anything you want.. there is no heat to go along with it.. so usually ANYTHING will work in it ...

ken

o
RE: Do any lime green heucheras tolerate morning sun?

FWIW, this is off a stone patio (okay, concrete landscaping bricks :) ). It tends to be pretty hot even in the morning. No grass there to cool down ambient temperatures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here