Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Raspberry wine monarda/bee balm

pippi21
11 years ago

Last year the raspberry balm bee balm was beautiful and it produced a lot of blooms..I had made some divisions in the Fall or maybe back in Feb. of this year and maybe it has something to do with the really hot weather we've been getting this past month, it's disappointing me this summer so far. A week ago, I saw some slugs on the side of the garage siding, where the bee balm plant is located. I'm noticing stems that look like they are completely stripped of any leaves. Haven't seen the slugs since that day, no signs of their silver/slimmy trail either. My gardening friend wondered if I'd watered it too much. It doesn't appear to have mildew on its leaves. I'm considering cutting it back and see what happens. Another experienced gardener is coming for lunch on Friday so see what she thinks because she grows bee balm plants with her coneflowers, tall garden phlox and cleome and that flowerbed of hers is a beautiful sight to behold. She has shared her tall garden phlox with me and this year is their 3rd. year and they are outshining everything in that bed..

Comments (5)

• cecily
    11 years ago

My raspberry wine defoliated from heat stress a couple of weeks ago. It had been about six feet tall and its now about two feet tall after the bushwhacking I gave it. Since we haven't had a bit of rain, it hasn't started to grow back yet. It should regrow and bloom again (she crosses her fingers and prays for rain).

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

This spring I cut some back to see what would happen. The plants were shorter but bloomed just the same. Next year I will probably taper them more.

• pippi21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mollydog..when you mentioned that next year you will probably taper them more. Can I assume that you will cut them back different heights. Sounds like it would improve circulation more to avoid mildew I would think. It sounds like it would work. good idea!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

I planted Raspberry Wine for the first time in late spring. It has done very well and bloomed. I was just starting to enjoy it and half of it seemed to get knocked over by the sprinkler. Not positive that was the reason, but I noticed it after it had the sprinkler on the bed. Some of the stems were bent in half and would not come up again, so I cut back all those that bent over. Too bad it was just filling in the spot I wanted it for. But, I do like the flower color and size and the plant had healthy looking foliage. There is such a lot of summer and fall still to come, that I am expecting to see new growth at some point. Wednesday, rain is forecast and that is much needed for everything. I expect that next year will be even better.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I've been growing 'Raspberry Wine' since 2005. The only significant problem I've ever encountered was one year my entire stand was decimated by the horsemint moth. (Apparently, everyone in the state had the same problem). Other than that, I've had no real issues. I have found that the bloom period is significantly longer if the plants are kept moist, but they will tolerate drought. I've never had a mildew problem and it's a pretty thick stand at this point.

Here it is, last July:
    {{gwi:250179}}

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County