Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tie-Dye Clematis

Posted by rouge21 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 13:08

For those of you wanting a little bit more of an unusual colouring for the flowers of your clematis you might consider TD. The one we have shown below has nicely grown around and up a 5 foot obelisk and is now in full bloom:

Anyone else have one?

photo P1020678_1_zpsa05f00c2.jpg

photo P1020677_1_zpsc26504c6.jpg

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 17:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tie-Dye Clematis

Looks great in what I can see of your garden, Rouge, but I confess, it is not floating my boat really.....I am even less keen on stripey roses....or stripey anything, really.....I can't help thinking 'virus'......same with yellow or variegated foliage (and in my garden, these signs appear with irritating frequency)

o

I understand completely camp.

o

It reminds me of my Batik Iris which I love so I think I love this one too! I'm always attracted to the variegated and yellow foliaged plants as well. I like how they pop in the garden. What zone is your clematis rated for?

o

I like it.

As to the virus thing, yes broken flower color is usually an indicator of something bad going on, but not always. After all, we have the fake Rembrandt tulips and they sure are cool.

Kevin

o

Thanks Kevin.

Debbie, I see it is rated as z4 but for sure if I were you I would give it a go if you do like it. Even with this past harsh winter that we had (a Manitoba like winter?) it made its appearance in the spring quite early and it was quite vigorous from the start.

o

I have been on the waiting list for Tie Dye as think it is a lovely and unusual clematis. Glad to know that it is vigorous as well.
I have another that is unusual but not very vigorous. It blooms late summer/early fall. I think it is Walenburg.

o

I have been looking at photos of Walenburg and don't think that mine is that variety after all. It is a NOID. Also do not know where I got it. May have been one started from seed.

o

It can be a bit frustrating not knowing the name of a good plant. It happens all the time for me

o

I just recently purchased a Tie-Dye clematis and it is blooming in the pot as I haven't decided a permanent spot for it. Yours is absolutely beautiful.

o

I love it. Anything that is an oddity is right up my alley though, lol.
CMK

o

Wow, you are quite the connoisseur Rouge. That's an impressive specimen and it looks gloriously healthy and vigorous. Nicely done!

o

I have to confess I'm with Campanulaa on this one. Streaky flowers look sick to me, despite this one being a very well grown specimen. Maybe this type of patterning just doesn't look good under our pale, watery skies. Gaudy colours and patterns which look good in intense sun often look tacky here imo. Like those lovely textiles you bring back from abroad that just look kitschy when you get them home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here